-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:37 AM

Double check that the radio is fully seated in the rack (the faceplate should contact the sides of the rack). I've seen a number of issues caused by the radio not being fully seated, usually hitting the panel opening before it fully seats.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 06-05-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV74ME View Post
I have the manual, and RF sq is set to zero
Steve,

The zero RF Sq setting is a factory calibration setting. It might be somewhere in between 1 and 10, so start with 1 and work your way up until the squelch turns off.

Also, with it happening with yours and the one from the factory, it could still be the RF Sq setting of zero. Next, if that does not work, I would try and just run a new antenna coax, use RG-400. No need to permanently route it, just let it be loose until you try it. If it works good then, reroute the new cable. Last resort is the antenna, as they rarely fail, but they do.

Good luck.

Brian
Old 06-05-2021, 09:54 PM

To answer a few others...yes, the radio is fully seated into the rack. Took to avionics shop and did a second VSWR check, and readings were 1.6 across freq range (good). So I would assume that means the coax and antenna are good.

RF is set to zero, and I would think any number higher would make it worse but will try 1-10.

Got some advice to try disabling a USB charger thatís in my panel. Was told that sometimes the cheap ones (like mine) can cause some electronic noise that would affect radio reception. So I did that and recently flew a 200nm IFR cross country without any issues. But I will need many more data points before Iím ready to label that as the cause.
AUO
Old 06-06-2021, 10:13 AM

Default RFI

RFI (radio frequency interference) is a mysterious thing. Looking at the history of a couple of products in recent times, I see LED replacement bulbs for nav and position lights were often suspect. Cheap designs without proper engineering were ending up on expensive airframes and causing trouble.
USB converters are another example. Some companies (Mid Continent and Guardian Avionics) for example have stepped up and engineered nice quiet, reliable devices. Of course the price tag reflects that development cost. I am often surprised that Aircraft Spruce will offer both the really low end and the better offerings. I recently researched the nav light replacements (again) and still find the low cost, unreliable options for sale.
Garmin has also had a history of squelch issues on coms in the last five years or so. It has commonly resulted in squelch opening too easily and not what you are experiencing.
Please report back when this is resolved. That knowledge can become a great data point for others down the road. BTW, all radios will function at a greater range with squelch manually opened. Your technique can serve as a tip for newer pilots who never flew with a Narco or King that had a rotating squelch knob. Particularly when listening to ATIS miles from arrival.

exemption option waived. Donation appropriate.

Last edited by flightlogic : 06-06-2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-06-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlogic View Post
RFI (radio frequency interference) is a mysterious thing. Looking at the history of a couple of products in recent times, I see LED replacement bulbs for nav and position lights were often suspect. Cheap designs without proper engineering were ending up on expensive airframes and causing trouble.
USB converters are another example. Some companies (Mid Continent and Guardian Avionics) for example have stepped up and engineered nice quiet, reliable devices. Of course the price tag reflects that development cost. I am often surprised that Aircraft Spruce will offer both the really low end and the better offerings. I recently researched the nav light replacements (again) and still find the low cost, unreliable options for sale.
Garmin has also had a history of squelch issues on coms in the last five years or so. It has commonly resulted in squelch opening too easily and not what you are experiencing.
Please report back when this is resolved. That knowledge can become a great data point for others down the road. BTW, all radios will function at a greater range with squelch manually opened. Your technique can serve as a tip for newer pilots who never flew with a Narco or King that had a rotating squelch knob. Particularly when listening to ATIS miles from arrival.
Yes, Iíve been talking with Garmin tech every week for last month or so. They are out of ideas.

My plan is to do a little more testing with the usb. Gonna wire in a switch so i can easily turn it on/off in flight while doing radio checks to see if anything changes. Also will try different RF squelch settings, and another antenna coax. But i want to be careful to only change one thing at a time. The problem seems to be extremely random and may be difficult to pinpoint, so its probably gonna take a while.
AUO
Old 07-01-2021, 01:37 PM

Update. Disabled the Usb ports. Still have the random missed radio calls. Gonna try another antenna and see what happens.
AUO
Old 10-07-2021, 12:48 PM

Just curious if you ever found a solution. We are going through the exact same problem currently. Radio works great most of the time but we have had 1/2 dozen occurrences of losing ATC, but when you turn the auto squelch off, ATC comes in loud and clear. Trouble shooting so far as involved swapping radios but that did not seem to make a difference. We also are running 1 radio (G3X system).
Old 10-08-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoAV8tor View Post
Just curious if you ever found a solution. We are going through the exact same problem currently. Radio works great most of the time but we have had 1/2 dozen occurrences of losing ATC, but when you turn the auto squelch off, ATC comes in loud and clear. Trouble shooting so far as involved swapping radios but that did not seem to make a difference. We also are running 1 radio (G3X system).
Check your PMís
AUO
Old 10-12-2021, 10:07 PM

Default Same issue

I think I am having the same issue. When flying around Chicago Bravo I monitor ATC. I can hear ATC but not most of the aircrafts they are talking too. In the past I never noticed this problem with my old ICOM A200. I still have the ICOM as a back-up so I plan to compare the two next time I'm up. I also would like to know what you have found out so far.
1085 hr
2WI6 Stoughton, WI
Formally of Lafayette, IN
Old 10-20-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Smidler View Post
I think I am having the same issue. When flying around Chicago Bravo I monitor ATC. I can hear ATC but not most of the aircrafts they are talking too. In the past I never noticed this problem with my old ICOM A200. I still have the ICOM as a back-up so I plan to compare the two next time I'm up. I also would like to know what you have found out so far.
Frank,

I am on my third antenna, this time a comant. Flew 300nm XC today and still same issues. I have now checked everything I can think of and personal opinion is something internal to the radio. Perhaps the way they designed the auto-squelch.

I am in touch with another member of this forum who is having exact same issues. Beyond frustrated. Please send me a PM if you want to talk offline.
AUO