Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-16-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash View Post
I do not fault anyone for their personal risk management decisions. We all make decisions such as no single engine night flights over the Sierra Nevada Mountains, no North Atlantic crossings, etc.

But I do think decisions can be informed by the real world experiences of others. My experience from monthly volunteer flights to Baja with the Flying Samaritans has always been very positive. The Mexican people are very friendly and welcoming, and the government and military personnel with whom we interact are always accommodating. I don't fly to remote or unpopulated airstrips (most are closed now anyway due to Mexico's new strict runway licensing rules) which greatly reduces risk of theft. I also fly with groups of other airplanes.

I'll reiterate my advice to check out the Baja Bush Pilots website to get lots of great information about flying south of the border. BBP has everything pilots need to enjoy safe trips to Mexico.
Well said.
2022 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 01-18-2022, 02:58 PM

Default AOPA

I asked the AOPA for an update and received this response:

"As you are probably aware, AOPA initially reached out to the Mexican authorities a year ago- https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...ental-aircraft. While we did receive a response from AFAC in June of 2021, we did not feel it provided the necessary clarity we desired. We followed up with a letter to AFAC requesting clarification of whether Mexico has given permission to US registered experimental aircraft to operate in Mexican airspace. Unfortunately, due to constant workforce changes within AFAC, the increased militarization of the civil aviation sector, and Mexico's continued Category II status-- https://www.reuters.com/world/americ...22-2021-08-31/, getting a response has been a challenge.

While I wish I could provide a defined timeframe to a resolution, I do want to let you know we are currently working with our connections to obtain in person meetings with AFAC to inform them of the importance and economic benefits of the US general aviation community in Mexico.

We appreciate your interest and concern in this issue, and welcome any additional information or feedback you might be aware of."
Exempt--2022 donation made

Last edited by Crash : 01-19-2022 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:44 AM

Default No method

I have been beating this dead horse for a while. The issue with the whole situation is a permission to fly EXP AIRCRAFT into another country is required as per airworthy docs by FAA. Mexico does not have a method to obtain this permission. So few EXP’s fly into MX that it is not a concern of the MX officials. Prior to the military taking over aircraft regs in MX the “Comandante” of most airports would ignore this reg. Not anymore and they, and we, are stuck in CATCH 22. Tremendous efforts have been made to obtain a solution and I hope a change of heart in the MX officials will occur........ya right
Old 01-23-2022, 10:15 AM

Default A little clarification........

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongor2 View Post
I have been beating this dead horse for a while. The issue with the whole situation is a permission to fly EXP AIRCRAFT into another country is required as per airworthy docs by FAA.
The first sentence of you Operating Limitations says it all...

"1. This aircraft does not meet the airworthiness standards of Annex 8 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation."

The FAA could care less what you do outside the U.S. They are simply reminding you that this Experimental Airworthiness Certificate is valid only in this country. It is NOT recognized world-wide. To fly in other countries you must have their permission.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>