VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #1  
Old 01-28-2022, 08:52 AM
wawrzynskivp wawrzynskivp is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Incline Village Nv
Posts: 313
Default Hypoxia Training

Hello All,

The military takes the position that hypoxia training is mandatory, they of course have the $$$ to take that position. There is nothing at all (that I can find) in the FARs apart from academic requirements concerning Hypoxia Training requirements.

Modern Hypoxia Training can be accomplished at normal pressure with a device that extracts oxygen from the air rather than using a sealed hypobaric chamber. Once can just sit in a chair and breath from a mask or sit in a room inside a tent. Such devices are now being sold for home use to folks that want to be hypoxic for various reasons such as athletic training.

Would anyone be willing to offer a personal price point ($$$) for a simple hypoxia experience simulating exposure up to say FL250? Of course this presumes the host of the training would be properly trained and industry standard safety measures would be in place.

What if it became a requirement say every four years at your AME evaluation? What would you consider to be a reasonable additional fee added to your flight physical to offset the costs of your AME keeping the equipment?

_________________________________
Vincent Wawrzynski
LtCol USMC (Ret)
F-18, F-5, F-16, UH-1, CH-53, CH-46, C-130, AN-2
RV-7 complete with all the gadgets
Aviation Safety/Accident Inspector/Investigator
San Jose State University Aviation Faculty

Last edited by wawrzynskivp : 01-28-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-28-2022, 09:31 AM
A2022 A2022 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,425
Default

brown paper bag. have a friend standing by to take it off.

better yet, put the bag on and sit in the plane and see how long it takes you to become confused and unable to find the buttons and switches. wear an O2 meter.

do not attempt this procedure without supervision.

Last edited by A2022 : 01-28-2022 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-2022, 10:02 AM
NTex NTex is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 235
Default free FAA option

The FAA FAAST guys have a portable chamber they take on a road show. I think it's called PROTE?

Anyway, I'd check it out, they probably post a schedule somewhere.
__________________
RV-9A finished/sold
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-28-2022, 10:12 AM
nohoflyer nohoflyer is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 213
Default

I did the training just like the rest of us Air Force pilots. I would say it was a good experience and training though I stopped trying to be a Superman after my first shot and would “gang load” immediately at the first symptom.

Trying to recreate military training for the general population though would be expensive and burdensome imo.
__________________
RV-7A builder
A320 Capt at some airline
T-37/T-38/KC-135
C-177/172
Piper Warrior
2022 donator
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-28-2022, 10:55 AM
airguy's Avatar
airguy airguy is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Garden City, Tx
Posts: 5,816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohoflyer View Post

Trying to recreate military training for the general population though would be expensive and burdensome imo.
Not to mention fraught with liability. The military doesn't have to worry about that, we do.
__________________
Greg Niehues - SEL, IFR, Repairman Cert.
Garden City, TX VAF 2022 dues paid
N16GN flying 1,000 hrs and counting on 91E10; IO360, SDS, WWRV200, Dynon HDX, IFD440, G5
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Pending Repeat Offender - 10 kit is on order. TDI? Turbine? Stay tuned!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-28-2022, 11:28 AM
MacCool's Avatar
MacCool MacCool is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: central Minnesota
Posts: 982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawrzynskivp View Post
Would anyone be willing to offer a personal price point ($$$) for a simple hypoxia experience simulating exposure up to say FL250? Of course this presumes the host of the training would be properly trained and industry standard safety measures would be in place.

What if it became a requirement say every four years at your AME evaluation? What would you consider to be a reasonable additional fee added to your flight physical to offset the costs of your AME keeping the equipment?
I wouldn't pay for high altitude training if optional, but other's might, and I think it would be fine if that was available for people to optionally sign up for a ride. Like most of General Aviation, I don't fly high enough often enough to make hypoxia training even remotely important to my flying. As to the equipment necessary for the average AME to have it in his office....I can't even imagine that that would be financially practical, nor practical from a liability standpoint.
__________________
RV-9A, 2011, bought flying
IO-320D1A (factory new), C/S
IFR equipped
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-28-2022, 11:51 AM
smt6 smt6 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 372
Default

Its free at CAMI-FAA OKC
__________________
2022 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-28-2022, 12:00 PM
wawrzynskivp wawrzynskivp is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Incline Village Nv
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
I wouldn't pay for high altitude training if optional, but other's might, and I think it would be fine if that was available for people to optionally sign up for a ride. Like most of General Aviation, I don't fly high enough often enough to make hypoxia training even remotely important to my flying. As to the equipment necessary for the average AME to have it in his office....I can't even imagine that that would be financially practical, nor practical from a liability standpoint.

Thanks, for the reply.

IRT C.A.M.I: Most .gov sponsored physiology training is shut down right now.
__________________
Vincent 'Duck' Wawrzynski
LtCol USMC (Ret)
F-18/F-5/F-16, AH-1/UH-1/CH-53/CH-46, C-130/AN-2
RV-7 complete with all the gadgets
Aviation Safety/Accident Inspector/Investigator
San Jose State University Av Faculty, CFI/GFI S/M (I)

Last edited by wawrzynskivp : 01-28-2022 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-28-2022, 12:25 PM
airguy's Avatar
airguy airguy is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Garden City, Tx
Posts: 5,816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawrzynskivp View Post
Thanks, for the reply.

IRT C.A.M.I: Most .gov sponsored physiology training is shut down right now.
Indeed it is - I just called them and got a recording including "All training is on hold for coronavirus, please check back frequently" (paraphrased)
__________________
Greg Niehues - SEL, IFR, Repairman Cert.
Garden City, TX VAF 2022 dues paid
N16GN flying 1,000 hrs and counting on 91E10; IO360, SDS, WWRV200, Dynon HDX, IFD440, G5
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Pending Repeat Offender - 10 kit is on order. TDI? Turbine? Stay tuned!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-28-2022, 01:27 PM
Rick_A's Avatar
Rick_A Rick_A is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTex View Post
The FAA FAAST guys have a portable chamber they take on a road show. I think it's called PROTE?

Anyway, I'd check it out, they probably post a schedule somewhere.
I did the FAA FAAST seminar about 5 years ago. Very well done and useful. It was a half day class. They use the O2 extraction method in the portable chamber.
__________________
Rick Aronow,
Flying 7A Slider;
RV-12 SOLD
Jacksonville, FL
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:38 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.