Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2022, 10:27 AM

Default Using connext function with area 660

Hi,

the area 660 has under the function button “Active Flight Plan” a function called “connext” and I saw a video on YouTube where a expert where telling he use this function in combination with a Garmin Watch to send flight plans from iPad.
Does anybody know how to use Connext to upload flight routes edited by a app on ipad?

Regards
gflyer
Old 01-26-2022, 02:54 AM

I use the "Connext" feature between my Aera 660 and Foreflight running on my iPad. Simply establish a Bluetooth connection between the two and the rest is fairly intuitive. Not certain which video you watched but the one below explains all the steps. https://youtu.be/mBnv88S4tj4
Old 01-26-2022, 04:56 AM

Thanks for the video link. That’s a perfect connection between the two worlds (ipad and Garmin device) and gives a lot of benefit and security while having a backup and steering control of a GFC 500 Autopilot. Would like to have this too in combination with SkyDemon which is very widely used in Europe.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
I use the "Connext" feature between my Aera 660 and Foreflight running on my iPad. Simply establish a Bluetooth connection between the two and the rest is fairly intuitive. Not certain which video you watched but the one below explains all the steps. https://youtu.be/mBnv88S4tj4
1- Does the 660 "connext" with an Android tablet?

2- Does the 660 "connext" with other Garmin apps like FltPlan Go?
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites & facilities for ALL visiting pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.

Last edited by Pilot135pd : 01-27-2022 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
1- Does the 660 "connext" with an Android tablet?
2- Does the 660 "connext" with other Garmin apps like FlyPlan Go?
Yes to #1, maybe to #2. See article below on Garmin's site. Includes FltPlan Go but does not specifically mention the Aera device.

I also keep FltPlanGo on my iPad and will test the two today and report back.

FltPlan.com & FltPlan Go App Added to Connext Wireless Cockpit Connectivity Portfolio
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/av...ity-portfolio/

Last edited by RickG : 01-27-2022 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
Yes to #1, maybe to #2. See article below on Garmin's site. Includes FltPlan Go but does not specifically mention the Aera device.

I also keep FltPlanGo on my iPad and will test the two today and report back.

FltPlan.com & FltPlan Go App Added to Connext Wireless Cockpit Connectivity Portfolio
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/av...ity-portfolio/
Awesome, yes please test it and let us know, thank you ! That would be one less connection to the GDL39-3D since the tablet would be connected to the 660.
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites & facilities for ALL visiting pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Old 01-27-2022, 07:50 AM

I remember trying this when it was announced. I was able to transfer a flight plan from my Android tablet to my Aera 660. But I was unable to get traffic data to flow from the Tablet to the 660 (traffic data coming from a Stratux over WiFi to the tablet). Not surprising, as allowing traffic to flow that way would cut into sales of the GDL units...
Old 01-28-2022, 04:08 AM

Gerat Rick for tying out.
I tried with version 3.8 and it dosen’t. Also GLONASS GPS is out of function.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:25 PM

Someone left this comment under a video explaining the Area 660 specs and functions:

"Also added a Dynon D100, .... and a GDL-39 3D.With the Aera 660 power/ data cable and a GDL-39 power data cable I hardwired the GDL-39 to the Aera 660, Hardwired the Aera 660 to the Dynon D100....., I connect the Aera 660 through Bluetooth to my IPad Pro and also Bluetooth the iPad Pro to my headset. Audio from Aera660 is hardwired to intercom..... The Aera 660 also provides data to the Dynon to calculate winds aloft at current altitude and info to the HSI."

If I replace "Dynon D100" with "Garmin G5", and also replace "Foreflight" with "FltPlan GO", and finally replace "Ipad" with "Samsung Tablet", it looks pretty much like what my setup will be once I finish installing the GDL 39 3D, so the last sentence (highlighted by me) begs the questions:

1- Will the Aera 660 send winds aloft info to the hardwired G5s? This would save G5 owners from having to spend another $400+ on the Garmin GAD-13 (with the additional OAT probe and installation costs), just to have wind speed and direction on the G5.

2- Will the Aera 600 send winds aloft info to the tablet FltPlan GO app, or if not, is there any other app it would display it on like WingX, Avare, etc.?

Old 01-28-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Someone left this comment under a video explaining the Area 660 specs and functions:

"Also added a Dynon D100, .... and a GDL-39 3D.With the Aera 660 power/ data cable and a GDL-39 power data cable I hardwired the GDL-39 to the Aera 660, Hardwired the Aera 660 to the Dynon D100....., I connect the Aera 660 through Bluetooth to my IPad Pro and also Bluetooth the iPad Pro to my headset. Audio from Aera660 is hardwired to intercom..... The Aera 660 also provides data to the Dynon to calculate winds aloft at current altitude and info to the HSI."
Carlos,

According to the D100 pilot guide "The D100 display of winds aloft requires an active GPS connection and an OAT probe", and of course it also requires a magnetometer to measure heading. The person posting this comment is just saying that the Aera 660 is providing the GPS data (i.e. GPS track and ground speed) needed by the D100 to calculate winds aloft. He is not saying that the Aera 660 is sending winds aloft data to the D100.

Each Garmin G5 has a built-in WAAS GPS, so it doesn't require an external GPS to display winds aloft - just heading (GMU 11) and OAT (GAD 13).

Quote:
If I replace "Dynon D100" with "Garmin G5", and also replace "Foreflight" with "FltPlan GO", and finally replace "Ipad" with "Samsung Tablet", it looks pretty much like what my setup will be once I finish installing the GDL 39 3D, so the last sentence (highlighted by me) begs the questions:

1- Will the Aera 660 send winds aloft info to the hardwired G5s? This would save G5 owners from having to spend another $400+ on the Garmin GAD-13 (with the additional OAT probe and installation costs), just to have wind speed and direction on the G5.
The Aera 660 receives forecast winds aloft and recent METAR surface winds from a SXM weather or ADS-B weather receiver, but doesn't have the air data and magnetic heading data needed to calculate current winds aloft like the G5. The G5 only displays the real-time winds aloft data (speed/direction) that it calculates. It doesn't display forecasted winds aloft data which comes from a weather receiver like the GDL 39 or GDL 5X(R).

The SXM or FIS-B METAR provided surface winds and baro setting at the nearest reporting station is very valuable information, and I always dedicate fields on the Aera 660/760 to display this information to prepare for landing or make baro setting adjustments enroute.

Quote:
2- Will the Aera 600 send winds aloft info to the tablet FltPlan GO app, or if not, is there any other app it would display it on like WingX, Avare, etc.?
The Aera 660/760 is not a weather receiver. Any tablet app wanting to display weather data like forecast winds or surface winds would need to connect directly to the weather receiver (e.g. GDL 39 or GDL 5X(R)).

Steve