Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
I look forward to the picture. I have that Anti-splat oil cooler on order, along with the Bowden Cable kit and fittings. Are you installing it on the outside, or inside of the oil cooler?
When I looked before mine was delivered today, it looked like on the outside would be the easiest and less issues bringing the cable to the needed location. I think it will work better on the outside since it will keep all the heat in and not allow the moving air between the baffles and firewall cool the oil as much.

It has been too windy for me - Im a wuss when it comes to flying in bumps so I didnt go to the airport today. I will have some time tomorrow and see what it looks like.
Flying N376E
Old 12-15-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I look forward to the picture. I have that Anti-splat oil cooler on order, along with the Bowden Cable kit and fittings. Are you installing it on the outside, or inside of the oil cooler?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
When I looked before mine was delivered today, it looked like on the outside would be the easiest and less issues bringing the cable to the needed location. I think it will work better on the outside since it will keep all the heat in and not allow the moving air between the baffles and firewall cool the oil as much.

It has been too windy for me - Im a wuss when it comes to flying in bumps so I didnt go to the airport today. I will have some time tomorrow and see what it looks like.
I definitely wouldn't put it aft of the oil cooler. People have tried it before and there is still enough air circulation on the oil cooler that you won't be able to get the oil to 180 if it is on the back. Unfortunately if you want it to work right it has to go between the cooler and the baffle.

I suppose on the back side it would certainly be better than nothing but I seem to recall a thread awhile back where even then people couldn't get it above 180. Below is what mine looks like for reference. Gaps have since been sealed and the cable bent for security.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	19719  

Last edited by jcarne : 12-15-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:17 PM

Default Blocking outlet vs. inlet?

Would it not be better to block the outlet flow rather than the inlet because that would result in a higher pressure inside the cowl and especially above the engine to give more delta P to work with for flow to the cabin?
Old 12-15-2021, 05:42 PM

I placed my Anti-Splat oil cooler shutter aft because it was easier to install there. That location helped raise oil temps from 150 to 160F. Then I completely covered the front side with aluminum tape and temps are up to 170. I will need to collect more data before deciding to move the shutter to the front.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyden View Post
I placed my Anti-Splat oil cooler shutter aft because it was easier to install there. That location helped raise oil temps from 150 to 160F. Then I completely covered the front side with aluminum tape and temps are up to 170. I will need to collect more data before deciding to move the shutter to the front.
Leave it there. Continue covering the front or put the second shutter
Old 12-15-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
I definitely wouldn't put it aft of the oil cooler. People have tried it before and there is still enough air circulation on the oil cooler that you won't be able to get the oil to 180 if it is on the back. Unfortunately if you want it to work right it has to go between the cooler and the baffle.

I suppose on the back side it would certainly be better than nothing but I seem to recall a thread awhile back where even then people couldn't get it above 180. Below is what mine looks like for reference. Gaps have since been sealed and the cable bent for security.
Nice. How did you get it through the firewall? What kind of fitting?
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 12-16-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I used some of these guys from Spruce for all cables through my firewall. There are cheaper ways to get it done that I have seen on the forum but require a little bit of fabrication.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
I used some of these guys from Spruce for all cables through my firewall. There are cheaper ways to get it done that I have seen on the forum but require a little bit of fabrication.
I saw those and I like that concept, but I was thinking more about ease of retrofit installation in a flying RV. I hate crawling under that panel.

How big a hole in the firewall do those eyeballs require? What’s involved in pulling off the oil cooler to place the shutters? Any gotchas?

The list of little projects I want to do during my upcoming condition inspection is getting long.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 12-16-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I saw those and I like that concept, but I was thinking more about ease of retrofit installation in a flying RV. I hate crawling under that panel.

How big a hole in the firewall do those eyeballs require? What’s involved in pulling off the oil cooler to place the shutters? Any gotchas?

The list of little projects I want to do during my upcoming condition inspection is getting long.
Ya if panel diving isn't your favorite you may want to look up some alternative options. I think just about anything is going to need some amount of panel diving but these more so. The big hole is 1.125" diameter with six screw holes around it. I needed to use a die grinder with a burring bit to remove material; that stainless steel is some tough stuff.

As far as the oil cooler goes you will have to mark the holes and drill the shutter. Longer bolts will certainly be required. The only gotcha I can think of is to take a look at the oil cooler versus engine mount and see if it were moved aft about 1/4" will it interfere with the engine mount tube. I had to remove some of the flange on the oil cooler to get it to clear the mount and even then it is close.

I can't speak for others but when that shutter is closed on my engine I can get oil temps up to 190-200 on a 20 degree day. While flying I barely have to open it to keep my temps at 180.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Cheap and effective idea from Sport Avation good for cables such as carb heat or in this case oil cooler shutter. Just drill a 3/16 hole lengthwise through a bolt of sufficient diameter (maybe 1/2?). Drill hole through firewall, add a couple large area washers and locknut. After cable situated fill in any (very minor) voids with your sealant of choice. Done.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022