Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2021, 04:55 PM

Has anyone installed both wingtip landing lights and leading edge lights on the same wing?
Old 11-17-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markduffield View Post
I bought an RV-8 with leading edge lights installed. They are so anemic as to be useless and until I get them replaced I will not be flying at night. They are not even bright enough to taxi the aircraft safety. I'm looking for a recommendation of something that actually works so that I can open up the other half of the 24-hour flying window. Brighter is better so long as it stays within the 5 amp breaker limit. I would prefer a drop-in solution if one is available. pic of current light is attached. Thanks for the help
Question - do you know what size the power wire is going out to your wing landing lights? A 5 amp CB will protect a 22 awg wire, even considering the length of the round trip to your wing tip. Iíve never heard of anyone using a 22awg wire to power their landing lights. Should be more like 18 awg or more, which would be protected by a 10 amp CB/fuse, as Paul (FlyLeds) mentioned for his bright landing lights. If you have a fatter wire in your wing than 22 awg, just trade that 5 amp CB for a larger one and upgrade your lights.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Old 11-17-2021, 06:15 PM

Default BoomBeams

Check these out. I got mine just before LoPresti merger with Whelan. The folks in Florida were really helpful.

https://flywat.com/collections/boombeam-landing-lights

Warm regards
Old 12-10-2021, 12:41 PM

Default The plot thickens

Opened up the CB panel to replace the 5A breaker and found that the wiring from the breaker to the power distribution panel is not of the appropriate gauge to support 10A for the length involved. Wire from the switch is suspect too. Wire in the wings is good. More problems to solve.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:59 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul from Flyleds View Post

A much better solution for improved recognition is to wigwag the landing lights instead. The apparent movement of the light from wing to wing is the eye catching part and is more visible during the day than a short strobe flash.
We can help you out there with either the Wigwag Module or the Wigwag Switch.

This is what I have, and yes the wigwag is very obvious even in the daytime.

I am using the Flyleds 6 pack lights so they draw a bit more amps but if you are going to replace the wire and breakers anyway----

And, the service from Flyleds is top notch++

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-06-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
Question - do you know what size the power wire is going out to your wing landing lights? A 5 amp CB will protect a 22 awg wire, even considering the length of the round trip to your wing tip. I’ve never heard of anyone using a 22awg wire to power their landing lights. Should be more like 18 awg or more, which would be protected by a 10 amp CB/fuse, as Paul (FlyLeds) mentioned for his bright landing lights. If you have a fatter wire in your wing than 22 awg, just trade that 5 amp CB for a larger one and upgrade your lights.
I replaced the wiring from the bus with 16 Gauge ((about 4'long). Wires in the wings are 14 gauge and about 11' long and only need to carry 4 Amps each. Last step in the wiring is to replace the wiring from the power distribution box to/from the Landing Light switch (about 4' total). I have 14 gauge wire for that. calcs show sufficient for 8 amps from breaker through switch and 4 amps to each wing. All protected by a 10 amp breaker.