-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:21 AM

Usually, if the oil is black early, it is caused by running too rich, a really bad thing for the engine, as it leads to build up on valves (poor valve to seat cooling and sticking valves); piston rings "carboned up" and poor ring to cylinder seal, and lastly, overly rich mixture washing off lubricants from the cylinder wall, destroying the dynamic seal, and allowing potential ring to cylinder contact (scuffing). I lean every 1000' in the climb, and lean to peak at 65% cruise, higher EGT, but lower CHT. Been running over 40 engines that way, and they still look good at TBO!

DAR Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Itís black after several hours in my engine
Old 12-06-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpilot View Post

piston rings "carboned up" and poor ring to cylinder seal,

DAR Gary
This. Working on a solution thanks Gary.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpilot View Post
Usually, if the oil is black early, it is caused by running too rich, a really bad thing for the engine, as it leads to build up on valves (poor valve to seat cooling and sticking valves); piston rings "carboned up" and poor ring to cylinder seal, and lastly, overly rich mixture washing off lubricants from the cylinder wall, destroying the dynamic seal, and allowing potential ring to cylinder contact (scuffing). I lean every 1000' in the climb, and lean to peak at 65% cruise, higher EGT, but lower CHT. Been running over 40 engines that way, and they still look good at TBO!

DAR Gary
Dark oil early on can be a sign of blow by Ö..
Old 12-07-2021, 05:49 AM

Interesting discussion. My M1B has ~200 hrs now and the oil seems to begin darkening after 30hrs. I stopped tasting a while back with black stains on my lips but still smell it and notice the odor change about the same time . . . . an elevated "cooking" smell , not burned, just a little brown. Analyses have always showed low oxidation and metal content, but I keep looking anyway JIC.

Honestly, I stopped judging colors of oil as an absolute after looking a good black diesel oils that tested and performed well. And engine sounds too, aircraft engines mechanical sounds like **** compared to a sewing machine sound of an automotive. Sound is a relative thing, relative to the original sounds and whether it is running or not. Gotta be able to pick out that one french horn in the background. Like the symphony really... OK you got me started now . . time to withdraw.

Hmmm, the censor did not like that word, where is George Carlin when you need him. It was not one of the 7 either. Oh well.

Last edited by BillL : 12-07-2021 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:21 AM

Default Oil color vs oil type question ?

I was so proud of my crystal clear dipstick even at 30 + hours.
Dual EI leaned religiously, mogas (ie. no lead) , phillips 20x50 from first start.
250hr with perfect compression.
But when oil was changed, it drained black.

So, the oil does not suspend carbon etc, yet 20x50 is considered a dispersant for use from break-in to TBO.

How does this work ?
Old 12-07-2021, 06:41 AM

Default A very good, cheap option

This is from the Camguard guys. If you ever get to hear Mr. Kollin speak, it's usually a good lesson.

It works very well for stuck rings which could be the root cause of high oil consumption and or quick-to-dirty oil. Helped a Hangar neighbor with this; had to hang weight from the prop. His oil consumption dropped and stayed cleaner, longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil control ring solvent flush procedure (Ed Kollin, CamGuard).pdf
Views:	97
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	19262