What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Preparing the shop

LAMPSguy

Well Known Member
For any previous builders:

I have my workshop nearing completion, 2 EAA 1000 style benches, 6' each
another at 2'x4'. Bottom shelf moved up to provide 10 1/2" clearance so I can use the shipping boxes underneath for storage (after minor modification).

Tools, "C" frame (awaiting the HPRS set up), shop is clean and laid out how I want it, shelves in place waiting for Al. I will be routing the air and a hose reel this weekend, compressor comes in a few weeks.

What else could I be doing? I have long since determined the extras I want and will order them with the kit (landing lights, Nav/strobes, etc)

Could I build the wing cradle? Or would that just get in the way? What is the best way to build the wings, I have seen some just build them flat on a bench, some make a stand and build them vertically (or is that just for skinning them?)

Last edited:
What else could I be doing? I have long since determined the extras I want and will order them with the kit (landing lights, Nav/strobes, etc)

Could I build the wing cradle? Or would that just get in the way? What is the best way to build the wings, I have seen some just build them flat on a bench, some make a stand and build them vertically (or is that just for skinning them?)

There are many mods for the wings that are build order dependent. If I recall the 14 comes with leading edge lights, if not that would be something to consider. Servos can go in later.

Pitot and AOA are unique to each vendor and have slightly different install procedures, so you will want to make those decisions early.

Nav/strobes can come later, but you need to make a decision on how to wire them. Are you going to run a conduit throughout ribs? Now is the time to drill those holes and run the conduit. You can pull wire later.

Start reading RV-10 build sites. Mine is in my signature. Others to look at are Tim Olson, deems Davis, and Mike Howe. The 14 wing is almost identical to the 10, so it will give you something to read until your kit arrives. 10 wings are different and you build them flat. Also, the rivet order has been documented for the bottom skin that make your job easier. Look in the archives or bug me when it's time.

You may also want to locate 10 builder that is almost done who might give you their stand. Mine will be available in a few weeks, but shipping is impractable.

Bob

And for the shop - insulation, lights, plenty of electricity (although I am finding that I use air more than electricity), different regulators for riveting and high-pressure air (e.g., a squeezer) along with different colored hoses so that you can keep them apart.

Dave

Last edited:
wings

I built my RV wings vertically mounted between two 4x4 posts. I can't imagine doing it laying on the table. Using solid rivets you need access to both sides at the same time. Even if you set it on saw horses, the person bucking would have an awkward position. Easy to do with the wing vertical. I hung my wings on the garage wall, out of the way and no stand necessary. According to Vans walk-around video, the wiring and mounts for the lighting is standard with the kit. That means the lights are options that can be added during wing construction or added later.

To elaborate on my previous post.

The 10 wings, and I'm assuming the 14 as well, are constructed slightly different than the older models. You don't need any jigs or special rigs to assemble the wings.

For the majority of the wing build, you will want them flat. Two EAA tables end to end work great. The leading edge skins and tank skins were done on tables. Some folks back rivet the top skins. I put mine in my wing rack. The bottom skins clearly need to be in the wing rack and requires a unique order to rivet to be able to reach everything without any unusual contortions.

This is why I recommended reading RV-10 builder sites to review the various processes that were used. Then you can determine which processes you want to use. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Just for general FYI: The RV-14, like the RV-12, will come with a complete wiring harnass that will be installed as you build the airframe. The wing kit has all the wires terminated in Molex connectors at the root and run to the designated locations. This includes the nav/strobe lights, fuel level, landing lights, AP servo, stall warner and ADAHARS nodule.

Just for general FYI: The RV-14, like the RV-12, will come with a complete wiring harnass that will be installed as you build the airframe. The wing kit has all the wires terminated in Molex connectors at the root and run to the designated locations. This includes the nav/strobe lights, fuel level, landing lights, AP servo, stall warner and ADAHARS nodule.

Hi Mitch,

Any word from the inside on a release date for the wing kits yet?

For our RV-10 wings I made large alum. frame tables. I used two 3/4" MDF sheets for their smoothness and density for the top. I used a router to scalp out a hole that fit the backing plate right flush to the top of the table. When back riveting all you had to do was make sure you were over the back plate. This way the wing always layed flat on the table.
Ron

Tables

Nick,

I don't know what the EAA 1000 benches look like....but I put a set of retract wheels on 2 of my benches that work like a champ! Should keep you busy for a couple of hours while waiting for the -14 kit!:D

98e821dc.jpg

cc49e97e.jpg

8ba7258d.jpg

Dennis,

I guess you know by now that the RV-14 wing kit order forms are out. I just found out today myself.

For any previous builders:

I have my workshop nearing completion, 2 EAA 1000 style benches, 6' each
another at 2'x4'. Bottom shelf moved up to provide 10 1/2" clearance so I can use the shipping boxes underneath for storage (after minor modification).

Tools, "C" frame (awaiting the HPRS set up), shop is clean and laid out how I want it, shelves in place waiting for Al. I will be routing the air and a hose reel this weekend, compressor comes in a few weeks.

What else could I be doing? ...

Bit of a late response, but I recommend setting up a bunch of shelves. I used Gorilla Racks, two sets 6' tall. Great for storage and holding various tools that you only use every once in awhile. I also keep my boxes of random stuff I've ordered on the shelves, labeled so I can easily see where they are.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=gorilla+racks

Back