- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:26 PM

Default Glastar Sportsman

This is a Vanís site so blasphemous but what you describe as a mission sounds like an io390 powered Glastar sportsman.....
Sorry to ruffle any RV feathers.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:28 PM

Fishing rods, golf clubs, etc, have all been successfully accommodated in the tail cone area of tandem, and side by side RVís. You just need to make tubes, or a shelf aft of the baggage compartment of any RV, and itís not a problem. Fishing pole rods and golf club shafts are pretty light and donít have any dramatic effect on CG. If you have a magnetometer back there somewhere, any steel shafted golf clubs, or fishing rods with steel eyelets, may have an effect on your magnetic heading indication....... ask me how I know, but easily remedied.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 01-13-2021, 09:05 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbRVator View Post
This is a Vanís site so blasphemous but what you describe as a mission sounds like an io390 powered Glastar sportsman.....
Since I have had a chance to fly and evaluate most of the current popular experimentals, Iíll say that the Sportsman is a whole lot more airplane than his requirements suggest - and a whole lot more expensive as well!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 01-13-2021, 10:54 PM

I would have said the $ was good for your requirements, except that you want IFR capability. Without auto pilot I think the RV4 would need good pilot skills. I certainly would not like to try it, but I don't know what the RV8is like.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffkent View Post

That leaves the RV 7 or 8 as strong possibilities. I’m leaning towards the 8 for the tandem seating. Here are the questions....

... And lastly, is an experimental a good fit for someone who has never owned or maintained a plane? I apologize for all of the questions, and thanks in advance for any advice.
I don't know any about 8 vs 4...I'm not a tandem kind of guy. I am under the impression that the 8 kits are pre-fabbed quite a bit which tends to make for an easier and more accurate build (by whoever built your plane).

As to maintenance, you don't have to do your own maintenance. Not all A&P/IA's are interested in working on E-AB's, but many or most are fine with it and if you want, you can have it maintained like it was a certified plane (although parts will be cheaper...avionics tend to cost about half that of certified, for example). I'm a flyer, not a builder. I like the idea that I can do the work, but I don't really want to. I'll pull inspection plates and interior etc for him at annual condition inspection (doing that now, in fact) to save a few $$, but anything forward of the firewall except plugs and oil change is all him. I'm brand new at Experimental aviation. Learning a lot...like trying to get a sip of water from a fire hose...but it's been a great ride so far.

Last edited by MacCool : 01-13-2021 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:25 AM

Default Fishing rod tube

I have seen a great fishing rod tube I plan to put in my -4 that was simply a 6" or so hole cut in the baggage bulkhead with a lightweight nylon sock similar to a skinny windsock attached to it and suspended from the rear fuselage bulkheads. You could slide the rods into it in one piece. In the -4 with the rear seat removed the "cargo area" is big enough for golf clubs. When I went to OSH a couple years ago, A tent, chair and week of clothes all fit in baggage, then I filled a duffle bag with 2 cases of hydration cans (on ice), tools and the tie downs, secured in the back seat with the 5 point harness like a passenger.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
I would have said the $ was good for your requirements, except that you want IFR capability. Without auto pilot I think the RV4 would need good pilot skills. I certainly would not like to try it, but I don't know what the RV8is like.
I donít want to fly in weather, or even cruise IMC, just to be able to get through a cloud layer and go somewhere on a nice day. If the weather is even remotely marginal VFR, Iím not taking any single engine airplane up. Iíd want two engines, onboard radar, etc to fly in actual weather and those requirements are far more than Iíd be able to spend. Besides that, when it turns into work, Iíd rather doze in the back of an airliner.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffkent View Post
I don’t want to fly in weather, or even cruise IMC, just to be able to get through a cloud layer and go somewhere on a nice day. If the weather is even remotely marginal VFR, I’m not taking any single engine airplane up. I’d want two engines, onboard radar, etc to fly in actual weather and those requirements are far more than I’d be able to spend. Besides that, when it turns into work, I’d rather doze in the back of an airliner.
I felt exactly the same way and IFR capability was something I wanted in the -9A I was shopping for. I don't anticipate ever filing IFR and weather is something I'm definitely inclined to avoid, but in the event that I'm ever surprised by a weather event and in a ceiling bind without good alternates, I want to have thetools to be able to get down.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:43 AM

If you hadn't mentioned wanting some acro capability, an RV-9 or -9A would do what you want. Take a look at some of the places Vlad goes into.

Dave
Old 01-14-2021, 08:54 AM

Default Well...

...I did love "my" Sportsman (owned 1/3), and it would be great for this. But it's probably overkill, and the cost will be CONSIDERABLY greater. In the cost-effectiveness category, this job seems to scream for a -4 or a perhaps a nice -6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbRVator View Post
2021 Dues Paid