Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2021, 06:12 PM

Talking

To me as a first time builder it seems like it would be very difficult to make money. Not saying I don't enjoy the process and the accomplishment but if I tried to look at it as a money making endeavor well... I'd just have to laugh at that thought.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 01-07-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLock View Post
Forget getting paid for labor. Actually, if you consider the effort required to build an RV labor, then you are doing it for the wrong reason.
To be clear, I have no intention of building for profit. It was genuinely just a curiosity. As I get more serious about wanting an RV, I've entertained the build vs buy question, and even in a hot market like this, prices don't really reflect the cost of labor. Labor of love I guess in most cases.

Anyhow, thanks all for indulging my curiosity.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper-319 View Post
. Labor of love I guess in most cases.
In ALL cases. Otherwise the builder never finishes.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:23 PM

Default Mr. FedEx, Mr. Van's, and Mr. Lycoming

If your a builder and your name is FedEx, Van's, or Lycoming - You'll make money...
Old 01-08-2021, 12:30 AM

Default be sure what you want...

Quote:
As I get more serious about wanting an RV, I've entertained the build vs buy question, and even in a hot market like this, prices don't really reflect the cost of labor.
Do you want to have an RV or do you want to build an RV?

I think that is the major Question!!

If you want to build, start right away. It is a very demanding, sometimes frustrating but overall very, very rewarding hobby/project. You will learn a lot and meet new friends on your way. Finally, flying your self-built Aircraft......things money cant buy!!

If you (just) want an RV....buy one.

Building an RV (especially your 1st) is not the fastest, nore the cheapest way to get one of those.
If it is not the building aspect that gets your attention....i would consider buying.

Flying since 11th July 2020
Old 01-08-2021, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I finished my RV-6 in 1993, when kit prices were much lower, and flew it for over 25 years. When I sold it, I got more than twice what I had in it, plus 25 years of fun.
Not entirely sure about that Mel... your loaf of bread was probably way cheaper in 93 than it was when you sold that RV. I guess its called inflation...

DC aka Dan

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 01-08-2021, 05:39 AM

Simply put.....what price does one put on ones time? That's the burning question! I've made money on all the planes I have owned cause I've let the builder or buyer from new take the initial hit/loss -)
Old 01-08-2021, 06:12 AM

After spending 5 years 2 months and 15 days building, going through the DAR process, flying off 40 hour phase 1, obtaining my repairman cert. and 80 more hours of flying, I would never sell. Someday I'll be too old to fly but I'll still go to my hanger and sit with my baby and hanger fly with other pilots. Every now and then I'll bring her out in the sun, maybe taxi around a bit or let other RV pilots take her for a loop around the pattern. Them I'm gonna die and let my estate deal with it.

Nothing compares to taxing up to a bunch of other RV's in an aircraft you personally built. Interesting fact, the vast majority of RVer's I meet here in south Florida bought their RV.
IO320 9:1 170hp
Dual pMags
Catto 3 Blade
80 hours
Building Zenith 750 SD
Old 01-08-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daida View Post
Do you want to have an RV or do you want to build an RV?
It's an easy question for me right now... I don't have the spare time in my life to commit to it. Any contemplation about building is a "when I retire" sort of thing. Which means I'm like 99.5% buy, but occasionally when I'm talking to people and watching videos I think to myself, that would be a fun project. But then I also know myself, and know the limits of my attention span. So...
Old 01-08-2021, 12:35 PM

Default "When I Retire..." is a too often a misnomer.

Quote:
It's an easy question for me right now... I don't have the spare time in my life to commit to it. Any contemplation about building is a "when I retire" sort of thing. Which means I'm like 99.5% buy, but occasionally when I'm talking to people and watching videos I think to myself, that would be a fun project. But then I also know myself, and know the limits of my attention span. So...
There are 2 kinds of people who retire. The ones who work more than they did when they had a job, and the ones who sit on the couch until expiration.

The best scenario is finding a job or hobby that you really enjoy. I get paid to look at airplanes! Can you beat that?
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>