What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Tube Support Bracket Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I put in a note in the plans on 12-06 to not rivet the torque tube support bracket (TTSB) to the 1010 rib before attachment of the rib to the spar. I scratch my head for a minute then went over to the left wing and immediately figured out why.

If you rivet in the TTSB on to the 1010 rib first, then you you have to put the shop heads on the rib side of when riveting the rib to the spar because the TTSB is in the way for the rivet gun. I put all the other ribs in with the machine heads on the rib side. I did this because I was told that the machine heads should be on the side with the thin metal and the shop heads on the thick metal side.

Does this make sense?

Any thoughts about putting in the TTSB after attaching the 1010 rib to the spar? I think that I will be able to squeeze in all the rivets when installing TTSB.

Am I missing something? Or over thinking this?

Thanks
ken

Orienting a rivet so that it is installed with the "manufactured" head on the thinner material is a best practice, but not a hard fast rule.
In situations where it would make it difficult (or maybe even impossible) the rivet can be installed the other way.

Make sure that I have not missed something. When you get to this step cleco the torque tube to the rib and then cleco the rib to the spar and tell me if you can figure out a way to rivet in the rib with the machine head on the rib side.

Make sure that I have not missed something. When you get to this step cleco the torque tube to the rib and then cleco the rib to the spar and tell me if you can figure out a way to rivet in the rib with the machine head on the rib side.

Ken,
Maybe you are causing confusion with your nomenclature...
The proper terms are -

Manufactured Head - The one on the rivet made during the manufacturing process.

Shop Head - The one formed in the shop installing the rivet (sometimes referred to as the buck tail, or bucked head).

Per Plans

I built it per plans, but the support brackets on first and have the rivets switched around as previously stated...no big deal.

I don't recall the exact steps, but I seem to remember there was no particular difficulty here.

not difficulty in this step. It is just preferred to have the machine head on the rib side and not the spar side.

well I figured out why it is in the plans that way. There is no way to attach the torque tube bracket if you rivet it in place after putting on the spar. I could not get the squeezer into a spot to squeeze when the rib is in place.

So I riveted it on the rib, then put the rib in.

Ken

Back