What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder TE, double sided tape vs tank sealant..

Roy25101

Hopefully I'm not opening a can of worms here. Years ago I built the TE of an RV-10 rudder using tank sealant. It came out surprisingly straight. I am noticing now that Vans is recommending the use of double sided tape. I was wondering if anyone had a preference they would like to share. It's time to order either one and I can't seem to find the tape for less than $30 and that's on Amazon.

Thanks in advance.....

Vans carries it. Search the catalog for “VHB.”

I used the tape for all of the trailing edges on my 10. It’s easy to apply, doesn’t smell, doesn’t require much set time, doesn’t expire, doesn’t stain clothes or require gloves. It does have a couple of downsides: it doesn’t fill gaps so the edge doesn’t feel as solid and it sticks instantly. You really can’t reposition the part much once it touches the tape.

All of my trailing edges came out to within spec without using any additional bracing or whatever. I also squeezed the trailing edges instead of trying to back rivet them.

I tried the tape from Amazon and it was heat damaged or old. It wouldn’t come off the roll cleanly and wouldn’t separate from the paper cleanly. It just made a mess. I sent it back.

Back