What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFLY on 740B VS IFLY on IPAD

waltb

Hello, Can any one comment on the Ifly app running on an IPAD vs the 740B
Currently a Foreflight user.
Thoughts??

Thanks
Walt
N72EL

Runs on the ipad exactly like the 740 or 740b unit. The only thing you lose is the ability to send nmea data to an autopilot via rs232. You can also check out fltplngo app. It does just about everything foreflight does for vfr flying and it is free. It even connects to garmin connext protocols for flight plan transfers and gdl 39/50 traffic/wx data. Did i mention it is free with free chart updates. ������

Last edited:
I've been using it on an old original iPad mini for almost a year now. I like it and seems very intuitive. To make it easier to see position, airspace, and traffic, I tend to use the maps in vector mode instead of sectional mode. I've heard that the iPad display renders better resolution graphics than the 740b, but wonder if overall the 740b has better contrast and brightness in a bubble canopy environment.
Btw, I pay for an annual VFR subscription. There probably is a short free trial period. However, the app is not free.

I own a 740B

Was thinking to move to same on iPad. Tried the app, same as 740B. Price difference not an issue. I decided to stay with ForeFlight basic. I can’t find the value add to change.

72EL

Hello, Can any one comment on the Ifly app running on an IPAD vs the 740B
Currently a Foreflight user.
Thoughts??

Thanks
Walt
N72EL

Walt, I am running both in my RV9A. I use the 740 to drive the autopilot and some other functions and run the Ipad with the sythetic vision and the sectional map next to it. The Ipad can run the great RealPlan function and can transfer the plan to the 740 so the autopilot can follow the plan or any revisions. They will talk to each other by wifi and plans can be automatically shared as they change, even enroute. The 740 itself cannot run RealPlan but can get the plan from the Ipad. The reason is a lack of the necessary computing power in the 740 to do the very comprehensive flight planning that RealPlan is capable of in Ifly.

PS, I also used both in the Sonex for the same reasons.
Ed
Ed

I have been flying behind an ifly 740 with the same adventure pilot software as back up on a nexus tablet for several years. The 740 drives the AP. They have worked flawlessly. In my opinion... the one huge plus to adventure pilot software is it's the most user-friendly intuitive software on the market. Not sure exactly but I think the ifly soft ware is also much cheaper than the others. A function I love is the ability to plan a flight at home on the nexus and then on departure day share the plan to the 740 and ZAP... ready to go. Not to mention in the event of a problem can be talking with their software guy pretty quickly. Their customer support has always been stellar. Just my experience.

Last edited:
Thanks Ed, everybody, Putting it on my shopping list at SNF...Ed, Hope to see you and your RV at Oshkosh!!

when I evaluated iFly against my Garmin pilot software (5 yrs), I kept saying to myself, "this is the way I wanted it to work". I switched to iFly across the board and never looked back. the 740b is a lot of bang for the buck. I'm a simple VFR flyer but I am IFR rated, complex and tailwheel and several aerobatic courses.

Last edited:
Back