What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED landing lights

Veetail88

Well Known Member
Anyone thought about just buying a couple of these puppies and mounting them in the wingtips and providing ship power?

Trustfire 8500 LM

8500 lumens each.

90 bucks a piece on eBay.

built in reflectors, heat sink, and the handle is pretty beefy to cut and modify for mounting.

Any thoughts?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Lights

I decided not to go the duckworth way. I hoped someone would come out with some nice, fairly priced led's that I could use to mount in the cowl.

I believe there are easier products to use than converting a flashlight. I think some of the ATV forums have really nice light set ups. Waiting for someone smarter than me to figure it out, test it and offer a pirep before I pull the trigger. Went LED on the strobe and wings, love them. Just havent found the right landing/taxi option to build into cowl.

LED flashlight

I looked at this but you have a couple issues to overcome.

First, the flashlights are not designed to run at the 14 volts our systems run on. They are usually set up for and around 7.4 volts.

Second, all LEDs need some type of current limiting device. The controllers in most commercial LEDs scream with noise on the radios. Many of us have used resisters to limit the current which are totally quiet but are not efficient and put out alot of heat.

The LEDs designed for aircraft use have noise filters built-in. Part of the reason they cost more.

Search the archives, there are several posts on this subject.

Have fun.

Yep

They look great, also seems they'd fit in a Duckworks assembly, but what pricing is "not silly".

I couln't find it on their website.

Old threads

Bill,

I have read all the threads, just don't remember the noise issue. I thought that had to do with the HID lights.

Just looking for a very cost effective solution to a few things left.

I've got to be a bit of a tightwad now. Spent all my money on really great parts when times were good,:eek: and now? Not so much.....

Pricing

If I am reading the site correctly, the landing lights are 1699 South African Rand, which works out to approximately $200 each. As a comparison, the Ztron Labs lights are $159 each. I have no idea what shipping from SA would be.

......I think some of the ATV forums have really nice light set ups.

I'm in the UTV industry (same difference as ATV's, but UTV designates the Utility Vehicles, like we manufacture parts for). I'm a dealer for Rigid Industries (www.rigidindustries.com). You might take a peek at their LED offerings. I'd gladly get you something they offer, at my dealer cost, if any of you found something you wanted to try out. They are BRIGHT! And really easy on the power consumption.

Note: I'm not actively advertising that I sell these to RV folks, which I normally don't. I'm only passing along info that I'll help you guys if someone wants to try them out. In other words, I am NOT on here trying to actively sell LED lighting, since I am not a paid advertiser of the site. Just trying to help on a case by case basis if someone wants them.

Take care,

Back