What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low CHT temps

Blake

Well Known Member
I just got my rv-7a flying a couple weeks ago. On the initial test flight I was seeing 265-285 cylinder temperature readings. I also have the cowl louvers with the new engine mount and gear leg. I covered up my louvers and tried another couple flights and my cylinder temps went to 285-305 At cruise . I have been maintaining 25 squared on all level flying. I don’t want to glaze my cylinders running to cool. Any suggestions? My engine is a Io-360 a1a with 10-1 compression. I have a rv-10 oil cooler mounted on the firewalll. I was expecting to run warm with 10-1 compression. I have a electronics international engine monitor. Ivv be wouldn’t think I have a batch of bad probes.

i'm no engine expert but before my engine break in i consulted several people witch lycoming background and also checked the knowledge available at this site here.

what i understood so far was exactly the opposite... that glazing of cylinders during first hours occures especially when CHT's are high. there are also other parameters affecting the topic but with your cool cylinders you should be good to go.

Indicated cylinder head temperature is not cylinder temperature. The steel cylinder always runs relatively cool compared to the aluminum head.

The compression rings are pushed out against the cylinder wall by gas pressure. Generally, the best break-in procedure is lots of high power (for high ring pressure) followed by short periods of low power for cooling and flushing debris. Your low CHT allows lots of high power. Be happy.

Check your wiring. On my initial test flight. I was indicating abnormally low CHT’s and turned out the cht wires were bacwards.

Back