What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon oil pressure

woxofswa

Well Known Member
After 5 years and 600 hours, my Dynon SkyView oil pressure indication has gone a little wonky. For the first ten minutes or so it will spike several times to the full (high) pressure indication, triggering the alert, and then it drops back to normal.
After first 10 mins or so, it stays normal. I have the old gen1 VDO sender that Dynon doesn?t sell anymore but Spruce does.
I am trying to decide whether to do the extra work to power the new kavlico sender or just replace the original unit and hopefully get another 600 hours.

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the Kavlico. Just one more wire and get stable performance for a long, long time.

I just did that job on my fuel pressure sender. It wasn?t too difficult. Existing wire goes to the green wire. Then I ran the black ground wire to the ground block forest of tabs. The +5V red wire is spliced to the pin on the Dynon EMS that provides power to the MAP sensor. Last step is to go into the configuration menu and change the type of sensor. My fuel pressure sender was doing the same high pressure warnings at 650 hours.

Curious if you guys with high pressure readings are seeing higher than zero engine-off pressure readings with your old-style transducers, as I am with my relatively brand new replacement VDO fuel pressure sender on my GRT EIS-4000 setup. I've deduced that my high carbureted fuel pressure readings (8.2 psi) are coming from a resting fuel pressure (i.e. with both pumps off) that wanders between 2.9 and 3.5 when it should be 0.

Change them

A few months ago, I too, changed both the fuel and oil pressure sensors to the Kavlico's and never looked back. I had the VDO's, and when I shut down the engine, it kept showing oil pressure and my Hobbs kept counting up. Now they drop to zero, and all is well with the world.

Like Bruce said, hook up the green to the wires you are already using for the signal, black to a good ground, and get the power from the white/red wire off your manifold pressure sensor and connect it to the red wire. If you don't have a MP sensor, take the white/red wire from the EMS connector, pin 18.

Now you know why Dynon don't sell them anymore.

Brian

Last edited:
Back