What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Image Request: Poor and Excellent Wiring Techniques

Canadian_JOY

Well Known Member
Folks - I'll open this request with an admission of guilt. I'm guilty of being a bit lazy. I could spend hours searching through photos here, or I could take the easy route out and ask for your help. Please! :D

I'm piecing together a presentation for our EAA chapter on tips and tricks for aircraft wiring. Our membership is involved in a wide array of aircraft, from new builds to restorations to "oh my gosh I just can't live with this" rip-and-replace modifications.

It would make my task so much easier if I could draw on some terrific "how to" and "how not to" images. We've seen some excellent photos in that vein here on VAF, showcasing best-in-class workmanship. Unfortunately (and thankfully, infrequently) we see some real doozies in terms of wiring that makes one shake one's head.

Would you please indulge me by posting here your photos of the worst rat's nests of wiring, and the glowing "I wish I could wire like that" photos so that I might use some of them in building my EAA chapter presentation?

Thank you for your kind help!

Have you trolled the aeroelectric website? Bob has lots of pics that would show proper technique, and IIRC, has some 'don'ts', as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the hint. Most of the pics I've seen there are of pretty low resolution - not really a candidate photo stock for showing on an overhead projector.

I guess I should have been a little more clear in my request, vis a vis the eventual purpose for the images. Thanks for helping to clarify.

yTd2K3MoCKtfBBpDVW5st8oQ-Gu1Bk4EhFyDiTr4UNgmXcOgLvd0KZ7HnnR2Pzj9gxASAGOY_EdTlWvq7ujimYfpc3VHQ7g5HZPoFQ4AYjnLDW5LOJEVEDSSQZbxU7CVaRoree_Rifec71gem23MdjYgktX0x6MVGQu6bi_RZyldFYF6B9WNYZ08nHWMqdR-m0yer2vdxV5YdRqqoAR6zhCC-K5kWa02hhTOG3MKXp97YZSLkRwGyFy6O0p7jAFaCvfBtqy7Xmyh6EngBUpg3KEk4tpoU2oLObiPJc8h-V1A_4a6f5TlVXAnwktiFQB8QwmW8E_s-aINt991YJg9Cu4vmaSZ3xmBfA34Iw7ahmfSDu6TpgB98GtQsm92bPzTvB48e2vbrV8xd-iqnE0JGhML-lqMRCPEHH5FX_XDL-mq69N1OS3nMk5--l-6X7Wti0et6Ep0GrPptmWIL1ehCxWOEsISvbruVRWnscvuw9Z6LVYTlOIFavATSnwnMBT6KDUBQ_haBI5lMWapOF9OaD0G8BacJMFkwN72EVxV5H6akwPAbfYIc46giMAwYfxcqDu4iXPk6Ui3abyqSs7hPQeY2PJ9DDHkIC44ZAo6wSuJxI9wk7yRSF1w1nbV9kaXw-UhjTJX6N1jA2RWjSk2Unbm=w1180-h885-no

How does this one look?

That one clearly does not fall into the "real doozie" category - thanks, Mike!

It's nice to see folks taking the time to master the art of the single lace tie. Suweeeeet!

https://www.faa.gov/training_testin...job_aids/media/EWIS_job-aid_2.0_Printable.pdf

Discussion and photos re. aircraft wiring best practices and photos of good and bad. Bill Ottawa, Canada

Check out slide 12:

These photos illustrate an improper maintenance action caused when
the airplane?s airworthiness certificate was relocated. The attach screw
penetrated the power cables. The FAA maintenance inspector riding on
the jump seat caught his clothing on fire.

A relocation of an airworthiness certificate set an inspectors pants on fire?
That's funny..I don't care who ya' are!

A relocation of an airworthiness certificate set an inspectors pants on fire?
That's funny..I don't care who ya' are!

Unless you were the inspector.

Back