What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

electronic gremlin advice

Jmason

so i went to start the RV-6 yesterday after some much needed maintenance. (replaced #4 cylinder) and for some reason at idle i'm producing 30 amps where i was producing 7 amps before in the same configuration. I'm thinking that it might be due to the cold weather that moved in but i'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Could be battery was discharged during maintenance and the amps to charge will drop off in a few minutes. How long did you see the 30A?
Could be a battery problem. A dead cell will cause a high amp draw.
A loose and arcing connection could cause a high amp draw.
A loose or corroded connection in the sensor circuit could cause a high amp draw indication.

If youre not seeing smoke or sparks, thats a good thing, and I'd tend to agree with the battery charging. In reality tho, 30A is a heaping amount to be going stray somewhere otherwise. I'd thro the battery on the load tester and then the charger and see what it says before going any further, both cheap money at Harbor Freight if you dont already have them, battery type depending of course....

battery

Thanks for the advice. Turns out it was the battery. I did a slow charge over night and it solved the issue thank you both

Back