What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FlyQ

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
Would like to hear any comments on using FlyQ for a flight planner on the ipad or ipad mini. I've read through past posts, and one issue seems to have been (still is??) download speeds for the data. Also comments about lack of customer service.

So, I would appreciate any comments on useability of the program, as well as other logistical issues such as the data download speed and customer service. If you're going to tell me to just use Foreflight, then tell me why. This is for VFR, at least for me.

Oh, do they include Canadian charts (I suspect not)?

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited:
Hi Greg,

I've been using Fly Q since last year at this time. Prior to that I used Wing X for a few years (never Foreflight beyond the trial period while choosing between Wnig X and Foreflight). I will admit that I enjoyed Wing X. The reason I switched? I wanted the fuel prices, and it griped me that Wing X charged extra. Plus, just like the holiday season now, Seattle Avionics was running specials - think I got 2 years for the price of one. The fuel prices may not concern you, but I fly CC fairly often, and it is nice to be able to easily take prices into consideration. I got tired of looking up random fields along my route using Airnav for fuel prices.

Overall, they are basically the same. I think all the top programs have likes/dislikes in certain areas. If you're currently using a program, the shift in UI will tend to make one not like a new program in comparison - my opinion only. Now that I'm very familiar with Fly Q, I really enjoy it. One feature that was just added is the AF/D - not just the data, but the actual AF/D pages. Perhaps it is just nostalgia back to carrying my pubs bag around, but I still like looking at the actual AF/D.

Seattle Avionics just took over Fly Q from AOPA. I have no issue with downloads - actually pretty darn fast. What you may have heard about is download speed for Skyview data through Seattle Avionics Data Manager - that program is horrendous and literally takes all night sometimes.

I only use my iPad/FlyQ for preflight, but it does have a lot of nice enroute features as well.

Aviation Consumer just reviewed FlyQ in the December issue that I received today. In short, they like it. You can download a 30 day free trial at the Apple store.

Thanks all for the info. I also got the black friday deal, which is why I'm considering it in a short time frame.

Greg

For me Fly Q is the best iPad aviation app. I bought the Black Friday ifr for life package for 399$ today. I have used fly Q for a couple years now and love it.

Downside is the iPhone app fly q mobile. That app is the worst aviation app. They are working on the iPhone version and it will catch up. But that's my thoughts.

What about the free FlyQ from AOPA, is that a viable route to go?

Dave

No longer available as Seattle Avionics has separated from AOPA. I thought it was horrible when it first came out through AOPA, but after spending an hour with their intro webinar and hearing that some folks (on VAF as well as other sites) like it, I pulled the trigger on the VFR for life version today. We'll see how it works out.

Greg

Although I have a subscription to GARMIN PILOT (and basically like it), I find that not having Canadian charts is really limiting for me.

Am going to bite it and buy some kind of an Ipad so I can get Foreflight which is the only one that has Canadian navigation.

I will use my Samsung Galaxy (Android Garmin Pilot) as a backup.

Will welcome any suggestions.

Bob

I have been using FlyQ for VFR for over a year. Only used foreflight for trial period last year. I like FlyQ and was great that they send emails during the trial period with video links showing you all the features. Foreflight did not so, since I was very familiar with FlyQ, I bought 2 year subscription last year.

I like it because they seem to really think through the interface and data presentation. Very clear and easy to understand data. Also they let ME pick my ADSB receiver from 9 different ones. Not stuck with one choice.

I am looking forward to the new [they are claiming] seamless interface with phone app and web based flight planning.

Still have no doubts that picking FlyQ was right for me.

PIrep on Canada please???

No longer available as Seattle Avionics has separated from AOPA. I thought it was horrible when it first came out through AOPA, but after spending an hour with their intro webinar and hearing that some folks (on VAF as well as other sites) like it, I pulled the trigger on the VFR for life version today. We'll see how it works out. Greg

Hi Greg,
hope you can give us some feedback on what FlyQ actually shows in Canada....if you need the NavCan charts,( if they're even available thru anyone other than ForeFlight) or if the included GeoRef charts, combined with airport directories, are actually adequate......at least for flight planning. Perhaps a separate nav GPS is still needed?
thx for any info you can relay.

No Canadian maps that I know of yet. Being using it for a little over a year now. It works great except that I wish that the fuel prices were kept up to date.

Let me drift the thread a bit:

Do any of these iPad flight planners offer geo-referenced taxi diagrams? That is, it shows your real-time location on an airport diagram with taxiways.

Do any of these iPad flight planners offer geo-referenced taxi diagrams? That is, it shows your real-time location on an airport diagram with taxiways.

WingX includes it in the base price, I think FF charges more for it, can't speak about Garmin

WingX has a video showing the geo-ref taxi diagram plus their smart taxi feature

http://youtu.be/PeuDXacV4UY

I was also a beta tester on the sister product to FLYQ which was BK myWingman, back then they were 90% identical as they were both coded by SA... Bottom line the product was not ready for primetime and I certainly would not have used it as my sole app on the iPad.

Sure hope SA has learned a lot about app coding since then

Last edited:
Hi Greg,
hope you can give us some feedback on what FlyQ actually shows in Canada....if you need the NavCan charts,( if they're even available thru anyone other than ForeFlight) or if the included GeoRef charts, combined with airport directories, are actually adequate......at least for flight planning. Perhaps a separate nav GPS is still needed?
thx for any info you can relay.

Perry,

Before pulling the trigger I got a trial subscription, and at least the US charts that include SE Alaska are complete and include some of NW BC and Yukon. But other than the chart itself, no Canadian data. I was told they are working on it and suspect that to keep up with Foreflight they will eventually have Canadian data but undoubtedly at an extra cost. Paper charts will have to do for me for now.

Greg

WingX includes it in the base price, I think FF charges more for it, can't speak about Garmin

WingX has a video showing the geo-ref taxi diagram plus their smart taxi feature

http://youtu.be/PeuDXacV4UY

Geo Taxi diagrams is available in the Foreflight Pro version. According to the FF Web site, the carts are available in the $75 / year version but they are NOT Geo Referenced. Foreflght Pro $150 includes Geo Taxi / Approach plates.

How much I-Pad memory is needed (or recommended) for FLY Q or Foreflight?

I recommend 64 GB iPad. Yes you can get by with less but the 64 Gb will allow you to have the current database plus the database that will be valid in a few days.

I initially bought the ifly720 stand alone GPS. I returned it after many incidents of it locking up in flight despite me doing nothing. I'd take off, return , look at the display, and nothing would work. I suspected it had to do with their airport map function. I do like their software and vector maps. I bought an ipad mini and at one point tried ifly again and still had problems. so it's their software, not the hardware platform that needs work. I've used lowrance GPS's for many, many years before this and never once had the GPS lockup on me. I lost reception once, but I was flying over military stuff in NV, and it came back after a short while. hopefully you have better luck with yours. I have a computer science degree and used to work at McD Automation in SL. I have a lot of experience with debugging software, especially graphics. I now use garmin pilot because they have vector maps. I find sectionals too cluttered when flying cross-country.

How big an iPad to be in fly q

I have a 16M iPad mini that runs fly Q just fine. I only load 4 states worth of data at a time including approach plates and no movies, but it works. Yes I'd like more memory but you can manage if you have to. I also have other memory hogs like navigable for driving. If I got rid of that I could load a few more states.

FlyQ has geo referenced airport diagrams. One reason I bought it. No extra charge.

Perhaps that was my problem. I loaded the entire US on my 16gig mini. Still wouldn't explain my problems with their handheld unit tho. I would turn it on, see it had satellites and a position fix, fly for thirty minutes never touching it. After returning to my hangar I would pick it up and nothing worked, none of the screen touch buttons functioned. They gave me a new unit, same issues. Hardly user error when the user wasn't involved. Could be some type of database errors for the Portland area was crashing their software. Also had problems with the measure feature where you touch two points on the screen and it gives you distance. That would lock up the mini so badly that I had to remove it from the tablet and reload it.

Back