What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider canopy with tilt and quick lift-off features

Does anyone know where I can find out more about these canopies and what is the general perception of them. Are they any good and or are they diffucilt to install?

Regards
Paul

Yep

Paul, all they do is grind away the sides of the rail on top, so that the nylon block can lift off, when the canopy is roughly half way back. Fit struts of some sort to hold it open. Can't think of the vendor's name right now but the canopy has to be far enough back so that it doesn't hit the top of the windshield when you open it.

Here ya go: http://www.aircraftextras.com/

Best,

Thanks Pierre

Will investigate further. My new RV7 kit arrives September/Oct in Krugersdorp so have a bit of time to sort this out

Regards from a cold Cape Town:)

2 thumbs up for Meske mod

I have the "Meske" mod installed on my 9A and I really like. It makes it easy to fully access the baggage area and along with the custom hat shelf installed behind the baggage compartment upper bulkhead for light weight items such as coats, pillows, sleeping bags, etc. The upper baggage panel uses piano hinges and the screws were replaced with "butterfly" style locks that some use for their oil door. (Sorry, forgot what their called :confused:)

Getting access to the hat shelf would have been extremely difficult without the mod, which was one of the reasons I installed it.

I know there are a couple of others now, but Meske mod worked good for me.

Paul,

You don't need to buy anything. Notch the deck rails about 11 1/2 inches aft of the roll bar, and notch the guide rail where the slider block winds up so it can be lifted free. Install a drawer pull (handle) on the aft end of the center canopy bow as a grip. Use a piece of 3/16" piano wire as a support strut between the canopy and a hole drilled into the pin block. To lift off the canopy, pop out the two bolts joining forward canopy bow and the rollers and hoist it away. (You don't need nuts on these bolts for flight. Impossible for them to move forward.)

It's a really useful mod. Makes baggage access trivial compared to no tip/remove.

John Siebold

Back