What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Not much new at Oshkosh?

MSFT-1

Well Known Member
Admittedly, I was not there, so the thread title may be completely out of line...

I watched the forums here, the AirVenture website and the AVweb reports and didn't see that much in the way of new "stuff".

I guess I thought Garmin might have some new offerings (like a GNS430 update).

I did see that GRT has a new AP, but it seems to be functionally similar to TruTrak's product.

So can anyone recap the new products/ideas they saw at AirVenture?

thanks

Let's see....

GRT has SERVOS to connect to their EFIS that will provide an autopilot function (they don't have a new autopilot per se').

Garmin's big deal was the G3X - nothign else earth-shattering, but when you see just how light two G3X screens really are, you realize that it is the lightest way to build an RV panel (albeit, not the cheapest....).

AFS was showing their work on the 5600, but I don't think it is for sale yet.

But really, you're right - no new earth-shatterign announcements that I saw. Probably reflective of the conservative bent everyone is taking in a down economy (my opinion only).

Paul

There was the new AvMap EKP-V and--while not new--the iFly-700 GPS made its first appearance at OSH. Two nice GPSs. Not much else new, other than what Paul mentioned.

The important things at OSH to me aren't the new things but the new friends, and those old ones I haven't seen in a while. That tops all the new stuff, and even the airplanes on display. Having my wife with me for the first time in about twenty years was special.

Bob Kelly

I appreciated the new Bendix King Bathrooms in Hangar C. Real running water and everything! :)

mcb

other stuff...

Not much that helps an RV'er, but some stuff that stuck out for me:
- Some folks came out with a car/powered-chute combo. They developed it for folks doing missions in places where roads and runways are sketchy. The car looked like a very functional dune buggy, not some Frankenstein-meets-Rube-Goldberg creation like other aero-car attempts.
- Not exactly new, but that ICON amphib is a work of art. Geez, I'm glad Georgia is the worst state in the union for floats so I'm not tempted.
- ADS-B stuff is more prevalent. I saw one ADS-B receiver that was designed to interface with iPad. They oughta be looking at doing an interface for AFS or other experimental EFIS. Eventually, the ROI for ADS-B looks pretty good given the cost of an XM subscription.
- iPad stuff was also not uncommon. Pretty amazing change since iPad only came out this year. Even the Flight Guide guys are now in the iPad app biz, although they are still way behind foreflight from the looks of things.

BTW, There's a picture of the RV-7 amphib on the wall at the EAA museum. How cool is that for the builder and current owner?

AND

there is real live air conditioning in Bldg C as well as the flushers.

The new shower house in the North 40 is a huge improvement over the old red building. I couldn't help noticing the Male-Female placards on the shower doors along the outside north wall. I'm not sure if it means co-ed or either. Hmmm.... maybe bring wifey next year.

Naaaah.

Not much that helps an RV'er, but some stuff that stuck out for me:
- Some folks came out with a car/powered-chute combo. They developed it for folks doing missions in places where roads and runways are sketchy. The car looked like a very functional dune buggy, not some Frankenstein-meets-Rube-Goldberg creation like other aero-car attempts.

That would be Steve Saint, son of the legendary missionary Nate Saint who was murdered in Equador in 1956. Steve flies a -10 and set up the RV-10 "factory" down there to give the local tribes an industry. Beautiful workmanship on those RVs. He is one of the most interesting people that I always see at OSH. If you don't know the story, rent the DVD "End of the Spear."

Steve trained one of the local tribesmen to fly a powered parachute which was used for medical rescue down there. Another interesting story. This flying car will replace it, I believe.

Bob Kelly

Onex Prototype?

Did any of you climb in the onex prototype? I'm curious of how the cockpit compares to an RV-3. The one-man (operated) folding wing option looks great... hopefully the Jab will be a factory supplied option.

Stan

Last edited:
We had new products this year:

Pulsar (longer version of the Pulsar NS light)
Sunspot 46 (PAR 46 size LED landing light, 85W replacing a 250W halogen)
Sunspot 64 (PAR 64 size LED landing light, 220W replacing a 600W halogen)

We also announced our new 360 degree strobe/beacon product called Sunbeacon which will be available this fall.

I also saw the IFly system in our hangar that seems to be new this year which is a pretty good deal for a handheld GPS moving map with sectionals. I think that they will do well at that price point.

Dean Wilkinson
CTO, AeroLEDs LLC

Hey Dean.

Are you going to have any Oshkosh deals this year?

I've been eyeballing a set for my in-work RV-7, but can't decide if I should do lights now or put the money in the fuselage fund.

AeroLEDs site: Suntail $395.95, NS90 Pair $849.95. Total $1199.90.
Van's Aircraft: Suntail $340.00 NS90 Pair $760.00. Total $1100.00.

Or maybe you have a cosmetic imperfection set laying around...

Check out the MGL Stand

They offer brilliant products with great support. They got some new fancy/imporved EFIS to be realesed later this year.

Hey Dean.

Are you going to have any Oshkosh deals this year?

I've been eyeballing a set for my in-work RV-7, but can't decide if I should do lights now or put the money in the fuselage fund.

AeroLEDs site: Suntail $395.95, NS90 Pair $849.95. Total $1199.90.
Van's Aircraft: Suntail $340.00 NS90 Pair $760.00. Total $1100.00.

Or maybe you have a cosmetic imperfection set laying around...

Oshkosh Specials:
We have Sunlites at $149
Sunspot 36HX $395 (July 2011 Aviation Consumer Gear of the Year Award winner)
Sunspot 36LX $295

We are also introducing a new product, the Sunbeacon.
The Sunbeacon comes in two versions:

Sunbeacon S/B has a white (exceeds 400 eff. cd) strobe and an unclassed red beacon all in one unit. The white strobe meets anti-collision requirements while the red beacon function is a ground handling beacon.

Sunbeacon B is a red (exceeds 150 eff. cd) beacon.

Sunbeacon is designed for mounting on the top and bottom of the fuselage or on top of a tail fin for 360 degree coverage.

We also have an updated version of the Sunray Plus available that puts out a tight 30,000 cd beam on just 10 Watts of power.

I won't be at Oshkosh until Thursday due to another business trip I have during the first part of the week, but the rest of our crew will be there all week.

Dean Wilkinson
CTO, AeroLEDs LLC

Back