What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior XP 0-360

Hi
I am looking at purchasing an RV7 that has a Superior XP 0 -360 with roller lifters. The seller says it is a 185HP. I thought the 0-360 engines were 180HP. Can anyone clarify? Tried to get hold of supplier today in SA but no luck so will try again Friday unless someone can shed some light - only thing I can think of is the superiors range of engines give a little more HP?

regards
Paul

I believe they are sold as "180hp" but many engines will actually output a couple extra horses when actually placed on the dyno/test run...

Not an engine expert at all but from what I understand that is how it works. I wouldn't want to buy a 180hp engine and find out it only puts out 177hp! that would be false advertising :)

Last edited:
Higher compression pistons. Superior lists the expected horsepower for different compression ratios in the engine operating manual. For example, 8.5:1 = 180 HP.

I don't have my manual handy but I seem to remember 9:1 = 185 HP

FWIW

When I purchased my engine in 2004, the sales person said the Superior XP-360 with 8.5:1 pistons put out a minimum of 180 hp with a tolerance of +5/-0 %. I took that to mean anywhere from 180 to 189 HP.

Thanks for comments guys - that makes sense. Heard these engines are good so happy to move forward with purchase................till the next question:)

That matches

What Superior told me when I bought. Each .5 in compression was 5 HP, starting at 8.5 compression and 180 HP.

Higher compression pistons. Superior lists the expected horsepower for different compression ratios in the engine operating manual. For example, 8.5:1 = 180 HP.

I don't have my manual handy but I seem to remember 9:1 = 185 HP

My XP-360 with 8.5 pistons made 187 HP on Superior's test stand. The roller cam has less friction, and it has a more aggressive lift than the stock cam.

Roger
RV-8 (Painting finally)

Back