What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen Bottle Mounting

asw20c

Well Known Member
Hi All,
For the past 3 years I have simply been building. Building, building, building. Now that I've finished the wings and have started on the fuselage kit I' having to start thinking about those things that will make my RV fit the mission I envision. Where I live we would have to dig a hole to fly at the altitudes where most everyone else cruises. Flying over mountains is simply something you must do if you want to fly North or West, and therefore having oxygen in the plane is necessary. I'm sure others have made provisions for oxygen and I'm wondering where they have mounted the bottle, and how. Anyone have any photos or feedback?

Last edited:
Hi All,
For the past 3 years I have simply been building. Building, building, building. Now that I've finished the wings and have started on the fuselage kit I' having to start thinking about those things that will make my RV fit the mission I envision. Where I live we would have to dig a hole to fly at the altitudes where most everyone else cruises. Flying over mountains is simply something you must do if you want to fly North or West, and therefore having oxygen in the plane is necessary. I'm sure others have made provisions for oxygen and I'm wondering where they have mounted the bottle, and how. Anyone have any photos or feedback?

I have nothing to offer you, but others will want to know: which model?

If I go anywhere long distance, 2 hours or more, I will take my oxygen bottle and take advantage of the wind aloft higher up. The most efficient altitude for me is around 17K. My bottle oxygen is mounted in the baggage area upright and it is attached with brackets to the center post of the flap.

I installed doublers/nutplates in the right side baggage panel before permanent installation in the airplane (1/4") to accommodate the mounting brackets for Mountain High oxygen tank. I can reach the regulator from the pilot's seat.

IMG_4546.jpg

IMG_4547.jpg

Last edited:

The mounting brackets use the existing holes.

Really! I was planning to make a plate to mount on the baggage compartment sidewall, but this is much better! I?ll take my brackets to the airport tomorrow to see how this works. Thanks. :)

Oxygen

Mine's a -10 but I believe the -14 is similar in the baggage bulkhead area. I riveted a doubler onto the aft side of the bulkhead and installed a composite tank with a remote regulator valve. The valve is controlled by a pneumatic switch inside the center console where I also keep an O2D2 unit. Rear passengers get to use oxysaver cannulas.

i-k5gpZKC-M.jpg
i-qKk2DbC-M.jpg

My hat's off to ya Paddy. That is one sweet looking oxygen setup you invented! Well done sir.

In my RV7 I mounted the 13 cu ft bottle over by the RH flap cover area so I can reach the on/off valve when flying.
I mounted (velcro) the E2D2 under the engine cables so I can easily plug in while flying. I'll try to post pictures later.

2020041720420905-7692330231391248135-IMG_0993_heic-X2.jpg

2020041720420905--9177021562325731264-IMG_0994_heic-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back