What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Have crack, need tools

dlloyd3

Well Known Member
Inspection yesterday revealed a crack on the horizontal stab spar just like pictured in Van's SB 14-01-31. Except less spread and harder to see. I have already ordered the kit to do the repair. Two years ago we moved and I sold many of my building tools. I have what I need except a 90 degree drill with 1 1/2" long #30 and #40 bits as recommended in the service bulletin. Could someone loan or rent me one for a few weeks? A hand squeezer with flat sets would come in handy also.

Just in case you don't know, the kit is $!15 plus shipping. Van's says 40-60 hours for the repair!

Not that I am a lot of help, most of my tools are not at my place right now, but where are you located?

Sorry, I only clicked on this thread because I was expecting a plumber joke.

Careful !!!

Dave - Be very careful. I tried the SB on my stab (no crack, but I wasn't flying yet, so I figured why not do it now?).

Unfortunately, I destroyed it by elongating a hole when drilling out a rivet. I contacted Vans, and they said there is no fix for that, and it is a critical location, so make a new one. I think the new stab took less time than the SB (but obviously more money, and paint).

Their hindsight words of caution were this: "Because this is a very difficult SB, we advise not doing this unless cracks are already present, and if you are at all unsure of your skill, seek a professional to do the work."

I'm not saying don't do it yourself, but just be careful. It was very easy to destroy.

Have only a dozen or so rivets remaining to drill. Yes, have to be very careful not to ruin anything. Yes, it may be more simple to build a new HS.

Back