What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

500 airports.

jbDC9

Well Known Member
I'll admit it; I'm a geek.

Over the last 15 years and 1875 hours of flying my RV-8, I've been on a sort of unofficial quest to cover the Lower 48 states of the US and to land at as many different airports as I can. After puttering around N Texas and a bit of Oklahoma yesterday, my RV airport count hit 500... not that it's a big milestone or anything, but I thought it to be kinda cool. As far as my 48 state quest, I've missed Nevada completely and I still need to get down to southern Florida just to fill out the map, but, I have 47 states in the bag. Alaska? Someday, perhaps... Russia? Nah!!

I'm thinking I need to do another west coast trip sometime this year and I can finally bag a Nevada landing, then a run up the CA coast and hit the PNW again. There are just so many funky and cool airports to see out there... and the big Class B/C airports? Nah, that's just miles and miles of concrete, there's just no challenge to it.

Anyone else keeping track? Let's see what you got! My map is posted below; strictly RV landings. If I included all my flying over the last 36 years I'm somewhere north of 800 airports, but the RV stuff is just more fun.

5YXBH2p.jpg

I just checked my log (MyFlightbook) and I’m at 301. A long way to catch you - kudos!

Great idea John to count places thanks! Did you count only paved fields or unimproved/off airport RV landings as well? What map do you use to compile them?

I think we need a pool

Maybe a buck a piece with half going to Doug Rreves.

Now that Vlad is about to check in I’m going for 1745. Who else wants in the vansairforce pool for total airports Vlad has. I’m counting all airports and if Vlad landed there it must be an airport.

When you come to Nevada go to LAS, park at Atlantic, and get the photo of the Strip behind your plane. It will only cost you 15 GAL of $8 100LL.

I’m impressed. One of my goals when I bought my RV-8 in 2019 was to land at all the airports in my home state of Mississippi. I figured that would be a great way to practice for longer cross country flights and different types of airports (okay, none are more than 400 or so feet MSL). I’ve made it to about 60 so far with 19 or so to go. I’m having knee surgery next week so it will be a few months before I can start on those remaining airports, but I still plan to fly to each one. Of course, the flight to and from AirVenture 2021 was a lot of fun, even with the four week delay on the return trip due to mag issues.

Thanks for sharing your trips.

Only 452 total all types. Looks like you're ahead of me in Texas too. I've hit 143 of the 392 public use airports in Texas. I've got to get out more once I get flying again.

Attachments

• Texas airports map 2021-01-24.PNG
    Texas airports map 2021-01-24.PNG
    953.2 KB · Views: 108
Great idea John to count places thanks! Did you count only paved fields or unimproved/off airport RV landings as well? What map do you use to compile them?
It’s just “push pins” on a Google map, no logbook data dumps, just zoom in to an airport and drop a pin; the map keeps a count of how many total pins so you don’t even have to count ‘em up. I’ve only done actual runways, whether paved, grass or gravel, but in your case with cow trails or roads in front of truck stops, it all counts! I’m thinking you’d put the rest of us to shame.

I’ve seen on another forum a pilot from the UK has bagged somewhere around 1400 strips around the world in his 182… I’m not worthy!

Only 452 total all types. Looks like you're ahead of me in Texas too. I've hit 143 of the 392 public use airports in Texas. I've got to get out more once I get flying again.
Crazy thing about Texas; it’s a huge state with a ton of airports! I’ve hit a bunch of them, but 392 public use? Man, I still have a ways to go…

Map

I’m with Vlad, what map source did you use? I’ve tried a bunch that I couldn’t make work. Please help us out.

Great post John! I'm on a quest for the lower 48 too, but never thought about tracking each airport. Since I'm a geek too, that's now on my list of "things to do".

I’m with Vlad, what map source did you use? I’ve tried a bunch that I couldn’t make work. Please help us out.
It’s just a Google Map overlay; if you have a Google account, log in and go to Google Maps, then look for “My Maps” to get started. You’ll have to manually scroll and zoom to drop and label the pins/markers; it takes some time to do a bunch of airports, but it’s pretty easy to do.

One sorta sad thing I’ve noticed is that of my 500 airports, there are at least 8 that are shut down and gone for good, three in the Houston area alone. Bummer.

Well heck John, we’re in Nevada…… ;)
I’ll drop in some day and raid your hangar beer fridge… a good excuse to bag a Nevada landing! :D

1+ Year - 92 Airports

Having received my PPL just over a year ago, I've had the chance to log 92 airports in 22 states. Hoping to add many more and meet fellow RV'ers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 6.49.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 6.49.54 PM.png
    500.7 KB · Views: 91
Back