Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-07-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineYoda View Post
Maybe consider doing it yourself? Even if you have to replace a few pieces, thatís cheaper than hiring someone. There are lots of threads here and videos on YouTube about how to do it.

Iím planning to use vinyl. Never did it before. But I also never riveted before. Or sanded carbon fiber. So, lots of new skills to learn!
As someone who has worked in the sign industry and helped wrap my fair share of vehicles and race cars, I definitely don't recommend installing it yourself, especially considering all the curved and sloping surfaces on an airplane. You'll end up with tons of wrinkles, ruined vinyl, or both. Even with my experience I wouldn't wrap my own plane.

I'm not saying builders aren't capable of wrapping their own plane, but it'd be incredibly easy to spot the differences in that and a professional job. Some things are worth the additional cost and it's still saving you tons over professional paint.
Bought flying, 1/2021
Exemption waived, 2022 donation made
Old 01-13-2022, 03:32 PM

Default FAA rules on wrapping

I'm getting some quote locally to get my RV-12 wrapped I'm currently building and the wrapper told me the FAA requires they use 3M and he can't even buy it so they won't do it. That sounds off to me reading this thread - anyone have any specifics on what's allowed/not allowed in terms of wraps for and E-LSA?

I'm thinking maybe he's referencing wraps for certified planes - doubt they're experts since this is all usually pretty complicated.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2022, 08:03 PM

How do you know that the wrap is lighter than paint? I would love to know what vinyl actually weighs.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconard27 View Post
How do you know that the wrap is lighter than paint? I would love to know what vinyl actually weighs.
The specs for it are on the 3M site... Google for 3M 1080, and you should find the weight per square foot or square meter somewhere. I think the OP said how much he used, so that times the weight/area should tell you what it weighs.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:11 AM

Thanks Snowflake,

But- No Joy, 3M doesn't list the weight anywhere on its page-
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/graphics...p-film-series/

I was hoping that since "TraderDoc52" made the assertion, he might "weigh in" on the issue with some data (see what I did there).

I looked at this in 2008, and it was really heavy compared to paint. I see that it is still 3.5 mil vinyl. But I am hoping that there is some new advance that makes it lighter--OR-- now that there are some installations, there is a real world measurement of the weight penalty.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:16 AM

The truth is that it's just a guess when it comes to the weight. A valid comparison would involve the exact same color and prep work applied to the same airplane in paint and vinyl with a weight comparison of each. Anything else is people making guesses to justify their choice one way or the other.

Quote:
Thanks Snowflake,

But- No Joy, 3M doesn't list the weight anywhere on its page-
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/graphics...p-film-series/

I was hoping that since "TraderDoc52" made the assertion, he might "weigh in" on the issue with some data (see what I did there).

I looked at this in 2008, and it was really heavy compared to paint. I see that it is still 3.5 mil vinyl. But I am hoping that there is some new advance that makes it lighter--OR-- now that there are some installations, there is a real world measurement of the weight penalty.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:25 AM

Default weight

150 g/m^2 for 3M 1080
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...eries-1080.pdf
Old 01-20-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderDoc52 View Post
Flash this is Rhino at T82. Just had my newly completed RV6 wrapped by TNJ engraving in Kerrville. They have done detail work on other planes but I think mine was their first total plane wrap.... Took about two weeks in my hangar. But their work schedule is sketchy and interrupted. Should take about 4 days 2 people.
Sounds similar to our wrap job on a 6A. Total newbies, including learning curve took 4 days with 2 people. Used empennage surfaces to figure it out. Oh, doesn't include many hours of watching Youtube instructional vids...
Old 01-20-2022, 05:41 PM

So, doing the math based on the weight above,

Itís about 21 pounds of vinyl based on the previous post of two rolls of 5 x 75 feet.

21 pounds seems like a lot of paint. But- not more than half so it seems like a pretty neat option!
Old 01-20-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
So, doing the math based on the weight above,

Itís about 21 pounds of vinyl based on the previous post of two rolls of 5 x 75 feet.

21 pounds seems like a lot of paint. But- not more than half so it seems like a pretty neat option!
Not all of that is used. In fact, there's quite a bit of waste.

I calculated square feet on my 7 to figure out paint quantity. It's not Vans figures but a reasonable attempt using a tape measure.
If my math is right it works out to 12lbs of vinyl.
Feel free to play with the numbers. Here is the spreadsheet.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k28...ew?usp=sharing
Look for the "square footage" tab.
No idea what primer and paint weigh per square foot. Maybe someone has some figures.
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.