What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire routing forward of the Spar?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Beginning to consider wire runs. Beginning with wires from the wings. Big hole aft of the Spar insert in the fuse, and then two grommeted holes through the Spar on each side. And, then where do I go?

The left side has the fuel valve and fuel lines going through the gear tower and no other openings through the tower. The right tower has one hole going forward, but is that all I get?

Or, do the wires climb up the aft side of the gear towers and then go forward near the top?

I thought there are holes aft of both gear towers under the side panels. You can route the wires through the holes and to the top opening in the towers which is behind the panel, using the apppropriate snap bushing at the holes.

Or you can route the wires through a purchased black conduit that runs vertically along the edge where the side skin and the tower meet, down below the side panel.

Routing a bunch of wires through the tower is PIA. It helps if you have the tower mod, which I don't have.

I have no wires going through the spar.

I ran mine from the wing into the fuse, under the floor back to the area around where the flap WD is, which is covered, and to the left and right of the GIB seat. Then up along the sides under the structure at about elbow height forward to the gear towers on each side.

Some very early pictures like the one below that will give you a better idea of what I mean are here:

http://www.rv8.ch/running-wires-in-the-fuselage/

20041208204446995_7_original.jpg

Generically, my wiring has a single large trunk that goes down the right gear tower, under the mid-cabin cover, and through the right-hand spar holes to get to the back of the plane. The only thing that will go through the spar holes on the left side will be a coax run from the comm antenna to the radio behind the panel.

The only hangup I ran into with this setup was that all the wires that needed to go through the spar made a bundle too large for a single hole, so the bundle has to split to go through and then rejoin on the aft side.

Back