What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LSE Plasma III Controler Placement in an RV-8

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I have dual Plasma III ignition modules that I have to mount in my RV8. I do not want to put them on the forward firewall. It looks like the luggage compartment is what's left for options. The best fit seems to be on the forward side of the rear baggage compartment wall. The alternative is building some sort of bracket for the front wall. Klaus has a picture of an RV8 with them on the back side of the rear baggage compartment wall. What have others done?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

My Plasma II controller is in the forward baggage well. I made a cover to extend the floor of the fwd baggage compartment and put my battery, the LSII box, ground block, etc in the well.

Hi all,

What have others done?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

I have a single unit mounted on a simple shelf on the back side of the firewall, on the left side, under the baggage compartment floor. It sits above the fuel pump, just under the baggage floor, and just far enough inboard to clear the tubing from the NACA vent. plenty of room there, and easy access for service.

i have 2

i have one of them under the bagage floor left side. and one of the on the aft side of the bagage wall where most guys build a door to service the avonics. i was going to build a shelf to stack them under the bagage floor but i did not want to spend that much time working under the panel.

Michael,

Put mine in front lower baggage compartment have not ran wires yet you can look at photos on my web site don't know if both will fit there you have to be careful not to put your platenuts to low they will interfere with rudder pedals if you have the in flight adjustable.

Dual Plasma III in RV8

Greetings,
I mounted my dual plasma III units in the forward baggage compartment. I placed them both on the right side inboard vertical that forms the wall between the rudder pedals and the baggage compartment. I also have the ground block and the MAP sensor (the Plasma III uses MAP pressures also) in the same area. I built a removable cover which makes my forward baggage compartment a flat surface with no deep area on the right. They have been cool and clean for 385 hours with no issues. I also have all my high power electrical firewall penetrations on the left and my low/sensor electrical on the right through this same area.
Hope this helps and I provided sufficient detail

Bruce "FM" Edwards
RV8 391FM
flying, 385 hrs

Back