What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flop tube and anti-hangup guide

plbarrett2004

I built my anti-hangup guide for the fuel tank access plate as shown on Van's diagrams. However, I believe I may have angled my stiffeners more than normal.

As the geometry is now, the anti-hangup guide seems like it might actually cause the flop tube to stay trapped in the lower corner of the tank. I suspect that the anti-hang up guides are really meant to makes sure that it does not get caught in the up position. I'm thinking of installing some type of modified anti-hangup guide. Since most sealing has already been done, it will be a fair amount of work and wanted to get everyone's opinion. Here are some pictures to illustrate what I'm describing.

I've searched the forums and builder's logs and I've seen anti-hangup guides similar to mine, but I've not seen one with the flop tube in the picture. Is my arrangement normal? Is there cause for concern? THANKS!

20140301-180742.jpg

20140301-180750.jpg

Flop tube

Send me your email , I can send you photos of what I did . Pretty simple too .
Tom

Speaking of flop tubes--

Speaking of flop tubes, I've been working on a replacement for the 701 hose with a highly flexible teflon liner. The teflon is impervious to the additives in fuel, and doesnt deteriorate like some older 701 liners do. I have a couple that are being beta tested now, and will have results shortly.
Tom

Hum--

Ever had one of those great ideas that was missing something? Well our convoluted teflon flop tube is one of those. Awesome concept with the advantages of teflon, and the flexibility of a convoluted hose.
Well---wouldnt you know that the braiding of the reinforcement is actually trying to counteract the flexibility of the liner? Also, not quite enough weight for the pickup to make it flop.
So----even though I'm convinced its a good idea, I'm going to re-think the weight.
Tom

Tom's solution was simple. Add a straight piece of aluminum to the existing anti-hangup guide I already have in place going from the top of the tank to the bottom. Thanks Tom!

Here is Tom's implementation:

photo-11.jpg

photo-21.jpg

And here is my implementation:

20140306-163546.jpg

Back