What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What else do you fly? Fun thread.

Part Owner (principle flyer) in a '74 Beech Sundowner
T182T G1000's for CAP as a Mission Pilot
Anything else people will hand me the keys too.

Can't wait to fly my very own RV-7(a) someday.

Spraying wheat in Georgia:

DSC00223.jpg

It pays for all the other toys:)

41 years now:eek:

Looks good Pierre, same game for me too for 25 years now here in Australia that also pays for my RV habit.

Eighteen seasons of night spraying cotton ops before I realized there is more to life than night cotton!! :eek: Here is a picture of my current ride, AT802 sn300 we use here on winter cereal spraying(day time!) and summer fire bombing ops. Touching on 13000hrs Ag now so big party soon...:)

hsvmkk.jpg

Well...........

As a day job, I fly this

TCX%20-%20BFS%20016.jpg

I also get seen on the Atlantic.....

330%20Engine.JPG

But, the pinnacle of all was this.......... Thank you John!

DSC00255.JPG

A319/320/321 for the day job :(

Jet Provost 3/4/5 as an instructor... also Extra 300 / Bulldog for a flying school.

DR-107 (One Design) share for the Aeros competitions.

Our RV-8 for fun / taxi to/from some of the above from strip at home, and some displays.

Back seat of Yak-52, back/right seat of other RVs, teaching formation.

RV-3 if we ever get round to finishing it :eek:

Andy
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV-8tors

Hang in there rotor heads, but I seem to be older

TH-55
UH-1 D,H,M (like a charlie with bigger engine and of course guns)
CH-47 A,B,C
AH-1 G, F (last Army model)

then Champs, cubs etc
Owned PA-16 Clipper
Flew a lot in a friends C-182
and now The RV-8 "Miss Sue"

"What a long strange trip its been" too much fun!

F-111 D,E,F (long ago)
Currently F-15E (3 tours)
RV-8, 469 hours, but still not painted

Bruce "FM" Edwards
Currently on a tour in the desert

What else to fly?

I found a deal on a Kolb Firestar KXP the other day and decided to get it. Will play with this as the RV 6A kit continues towards completion. The Piper Cherokee has gotten a little more expensive these days. Maybe I will finally convert to a tail dragger! Come out to Colonial Airpark (Olive Branch, MS) and see it along with the other LSA and ultralights...they do have fun going "low and slow".

Day job, pays for the RV progress when I'm actually home. Have 35-40 other makes/models in the logbook too.

3389972588_3ac2b5fd35.jpg

Last edited:
Until I Win the Lottery

Keeps the RV and Pacer fed and watered.

P1030153.jpg

P1030102.jpg

I am on the left, but the guy on the right is a former RV-6 & -10 owner.

Other aircraft

I fly two different aircraft for work. A Shorts 330

SD-36.jpg

and a CH-47

CH-47.jpg

Fortunately I have a PA-28 that I can fly for fun while I am finishing my RV-7

PA-28.jpg

Aircraft Flown

It's been fun! I'm a lucky guy! I only owned five of these!

****Owned***

C-140 ***
C-150
C-172
C-177
C-180
C-182
C-206
C-210
C-310
Stearman PT-17
Cherokee 140, 180, 235
J-3 ****
J-4
J-5
Jay's Northstar Super Cub
T-41
T-37 Tweet
T-38A Talon
B-727
B-777
Pitts S1S ****
Pitts-S1T
Pitts-S2A
Pitts-S2B
Christen Eagle II ****
Grumman AA1 and AA1-A ****, AA1-B (Yankee)
Grumman AA-5B Tiger
RV-3
RV-4
RV-6
RV-7
RV-8A
RV-8 **** X(15)
RV-10

Last edited:
Learned to fly in 1988 with a C-152. Co-owned with my father a 1976 Rockwell 114. Had fun with that for a couple of years, then sold it. Spent the next 20 years raising a family. Now looking forward to getting back in the air with my 9A. In the mean time, I fly lots of interesting things in X-Plane on my Mac.

My RotorHead Turn

Quite flying helicopters for a living in 98 and since then have owned a Europa XS and RV-9A.

I have flown...
Piper Colt
Piper 140
Piper 180
Piper 235
Cherokee 6
Comanche 400
C150
C177
C182
C210
Bonanza A36
Barron 58P
Mooney 20F

TH-55
UH-1 A,B,D,H
OH-6

H269
H369
H300
H500D
Alouette !!
Alouette !!!
SA 315B Lama
SA 330J Puma
AS 350
B204
B205
B206 A,B, BIII, L, L1 and L3
B212
BO105

That's all I can think of for now, and too many log books to look thru.

And I agree, not enough RotorHead presence here.

My list is pretty short. Did my private in the DA-20 starting in late 2009, flew some fun hops in that plane through most of 2010 before parting ways with that flight school. Then I got a checkout in an Archer II at another school, which is my new go-to rental.

In the meantime I've gotten small doses of flying in an RV-7A, C152, C172, and an SNJ. I'll probably be seeing about doing my taildragger endorsement in the Decathlon pretty soon, and maybe next year I'll get started on my -8.

MCULVER

Mike,
Do my eyes deceive me, or does your Luscombe have a little "sumptin extra" under the hood?
What a beautiful plane!

Lycoming O-235 in that puppy. Just like the RV-9 I am building, certain that the oversize engine will cause the end of life as we know it... ;)

On the other hand, flew to OSH from Seattle in 07 via Air Luscombe. 100+ degrees at max gross on a 2600' strip in St. Ignatius, MT (3000 MSL) was not an issue. Wouldn't want to try that in a "normal" Luscombe. (Maybe not even in a RV-9 with an O-320.)

Mike,
Do my eyes deceive me, or does your Luscombe have a little "sumptin extra" under the hood?
What a beautiful plane!

Nice plane Mike - What products did you use to keep her shined up so nice? I left most of my fuse bare aluminum and am still trying to figure out the best way to keep the shine on.

Rotary Wing:
TH-57
SH-60B
OH-58
OH-6
UH-60A,L
H-43
SH-2G
SH-3
AH-1W
AH-64A,L
H-53
Lynx
MH-60R,S

Fixed Wing:
C-150,152,172
T-34B,C
Arrow
BD-4
OV-1
T-28
Lear 26
T-2
T-38
BE-200 (C-12)
F/A-18B
P-3
Otter
Beaver
several different gliders
RV6
RV8

WOW! Thats gorgeous!!!
<envy> ;-)
Last count I have meaningful time in 82 different makes and models. Currently the A-300 pays for the gas in the RV-4. ;-)

DM

Nothing like low and slow (and short fields) in a Luscombe :)

2430.jpg

Last edited:
I use Nuvite, a compounder, and a Cyclo. Believe me, every spring looks well south of what you see there. So this year I am torn between polishing (usually a solid month of weekends) and building the -9.

Contact me off-list if you want the details on how to join the Religious Order of Nuvite Worshiping. We hold secret meetings when the moon is full.

I have decided not to polish the 9, though. Some planes look great polished; however RVs feel like a "paint plane". For one thing, fiberglass intrudes at just the wrong time for where polish would seem to flow to.

Nice plane Mike - What products did you use to keep her shined up so nice? I left most of my fuse bare aluminum and am still trying to figure out the best way to keep the shine on.

img.php
[/url][/IMG]

A friend of mine coming from a RV meeting and back to Marseille airport , I was the instructor .

Last edited:
Own(ed) in order:
Bensen Gyrocopter
Mooney M10 cadet
Rans S-16 shekari almost done
Cirrus Sr22 GTS current plane

Additionally have flown
AirCreation Trike
Bell 47

What else do you fly....

Presently own Mooney and an RV-4. The Mooney is to take the family somewhere, the RV-4 is for me to fly nowhere in particular.

The RV-4 is tons of fun, however, I once owned a Mooneymite that was probably as much fun and even more economical. I have also owned:

Interstate Cadet
L-2
J-3

I fly a Citation when I go to work and I have type ratings on a bunch of Boeings and the L-188 and L-1011.

I have an RV-4 under construction (kind of), but the flying RV-4 was purchased. :(

S-64 Erickson Air-Crane (aka Sikorsky Sky Crane) & "Scarlet" RV-8A with all glass IFR panel. Old School & New (current) School.
:cool: both as much fun as you can have legally with your pants on!
2m4t0lz.jpg
[/IMG]

Rob, just met Jeff out here last weekend with 741.

Can you guys move some furniture for me, without removing it from my house? :D

Here's my current lineup: 2010 RV-8 and 2008 Mooney Acclaim Type S:

N8812T%2020130531%200018-L.jpg

My previous birds were a 1998 Mooney Encore and a 1980 Piper Archer II.

Back