What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 windshield/roll bar fasteners

jbDC9

Well Known Member
So I'm getting close to installing the windshield (finally...) and am kinda wondering about the method of attachment to the roll bar. The manual says to drill and tap for #6 screws... but I'm wondering if pop rivets are usable here; any idea why screws are specified for the w/s to roll bar while the rest of the canopy uses pop rivets? I've seen a couple of builder's sites that show rivets instead of screws, and me being the lazy type... you get the idea.

Comments?

Windscreen attach

From what I've read, with a screw, you can put it in without cracking the windscreen. When you pull the pop rivets tight, they tend to crack it. You have more control over the tightness of the screws.

I hope you get some answers from more experienced people, since I've never used either screws or pop rivets on the windscreen.

You know, I had never really thought about it until you asked the question - but I think Mickey has a good point. In any case, I don't think it took more than a few minutes per hole to drill, tap, and screw, so I guess I never considered an alternative. It will all be covered up with fun fiberglass anyway, and hey - if that's where you're at, you're makign good progress!

Paul

So lemme get this straight... cracks in the windshield are a bad thing? Okay, got it! I hadn't considered that; did I mention I'm lazy?

As far as progress goes, I'm squeaking by... but not nearly as fast as you Paul! Finally moved to a T hangar at Hooks a coupla weeks ago, so it's time for windshield and wings. And speaking of DWH hangars, I was amazed that they had no waiting list... they had 6-8 available when I called! Seriously, I thought I'd be on a wait list forever, seems like that's the usual story at most airports...

John

rv83789xx.jpg

rv83872xy.jpg

Congratulations on the move John, I was just about to ask when it was going to happen.

The first hole I tried threading broke the tap. I'm sure it was probably just a cheap one, but I didn't want to have similar results on the other holes (that and I was getting lazy too). After a call to Van's to make sure it was alright, we used the soft rivets. They said the windscreen was the same material as the rest of the canopy, which is held on by rivets, and there's no reason you can't use them there as well. I agree with Mickey about being able to put less stress on the hole with screws, but if you go with rivets yours won't be the only one.

In most of the planes I have seen, and both that I have built, it was necessary to shim the windscreen up from the roll bar, using nylon washers or spacers, in order to get a good fit against the canopy. If you do this, screws work better since they provide for more length and allow you to work with adding or removing nylon washers to achieve the correct fit.
Other than that, I agree that rivets would be fine. Just something else to think about!

sf3543 said:
In most of the planes I have seen, and both that I have built, it was necessary to shim the windscreen up from the roll bar, using nylon washers or spacers, in order to get a good fit against the canopy. If you do this, screws work better since they provide for more length and allow you to work with adding or removing nylon washers to achieve the correct fit.
Other than that, I agree that rivets would be fine. Just something else to think about!

I had forgotten about that - and it's a good point. I have spacers on both sides near the bottom that would make it tough to put in a pop rivet.

Congrats on the move to the airport John!

Paul

Back