What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Send in Repairman Certificate with Airworthiness Application?

339A

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of filling out my Application for Airworthiness Certificate and the Repairmans Certificate. The question is can the repairmens certificate be sent in with the airworthiness application? If I don't yet have a special airworthiness certificate will the FAA issue me the Repairmens certificate for a plane that isn't airworthy yet?

Thanks,

Scott Mills

N339A

When I had the FAA inspect my 7A, I submitted the repairmans license application along with the airworthiness application at the same time. My FSDO had the pink slip all ready for me on inspection day and he submitted the repairmans application to Oklahoma that day and issued me a temporary repairmans license. You really don't need the repairmans license before the AWC.

Also, a DAR can not issue or submit for your repairmans license. You need to go through the FAA. Normally contact your local FSDO. They can help.

Roberta

Repairman's App

I was making initial plans for my inspection with the DAR last weekend, and he asked if I wanted him to submit the paper work for my Repairman's certificate. When I had my first plane inspected, the same DAR wouldn't do it, said I had to go to the FSDO office. He said the FSDO is now encouraging this, saves folks from having to go thru all the new security stuff I guess. Do you do this too, Mel??

Bill Waters

Letting the DAR submit the application for "Repairman" was discussed within the last 6 months, but the idea was rejected. Only the FAA can issue an airman certificate (which the repairman certificate is!) The proper way this is done is the applicant submits the application along with the 8130-12 to the FSDO. The FSDO then interviews the applicant to determine eligibility and then issues the certificate. Some FSDOs will allow the applicant to mail in the application. The DAR can supply the application and assist in filling it out, but the applicant must submit it. I also furnish a "letter of recommendation". This seems to help the process.
Mel...DAR

Repairman Certificate question

If you're an A&P is there any advantage to also having the repairman certificate?

Thanks,

There is no reason to apply for the repairman certificate if you have an A&P.

Mel said:
There is no reason to apply for the repairman certificate if you have an A&P.
Just playing devil's advocate here, but from a pure perspective of limiting liability... Let's say the A&P builder goes and gets the Repairman Cert, and the dude always signs the logbook as Repairman, using the Repairman Cert #. Essentially never signing the logbook as an A&P.

Is there any liability to be limited by in effect signing the logbook as an "amateur"? Can the A&P protect his or her A&P Cert by not using it on that particular aircraft?

I have no idea if this has any bearing on anything, but I'm sure somebody out there does.

Interesting that this thread came back up seeing that I posted it almost a year ago. I still have NOT received my repairmans certificate as yet. The plane was inspected 9/8/05.
I have several calls into the Denver FSDO and have re-sent the application. They keep telling me how busy they are blah, blah, blah. About four weeks ago I was told that they would be doing them on Friday that week. Still no joy.

Leave it to the FAA.

Scott Mills
339A

89.5 hours on the EIS.

339A said:
Leave it to the FAA.
Did you send the application in the mail or hand deliver it? Don't know if your FSDO will accept hand delivered ones, but I made an appointment, went in to see the fed with all my paperwork, and walked out with a temporary certificate (much like a temporary airman's cert after taking a check ride.) You might try that.

dan said:
Let's say the A&P builder goes and gets the Repairman Cert, and the dude always signs the logbook as Repairman, using the Repairman Cert #. Essentially never signing the logbook as an A&P.

Is there any liability to be limited by in effect signing the logbook as an "amateur"? Can the A&P protect his or her A&P Cert by not using it on that particular aircraft?

I don't think so. As it was explained to me, if you hold multiple certificates (A&P and IA, A&P and PPL, etc) you can still be held to the highest "set of standards" that you are certificated/licensed to, regardless of how you sign the logbook.

Of course, this is the FAA we're talking about, so any situation where this issue came up could be open to interpretation...

The FSDO is not supposed to accept a repairman certificate application through the mail. The FAA inspector is required to interview you in person.

Ken is correct on the A&P/Repairman certificate. This has come up in our annual DAR seminars, and FAA's interpretation is as Ken suggested. You will be held to the highest certificate that you hold.

A&P Currency?

What are the currency requirements for an A&P cert? Is there a biannual flight review equivalent (i.e. training, testing, review, etc.) that you must go through to continue performing work as an A&P? I was just thinking that if you ever see yourself for some reason letting your A&P certification get out of currency (if that's possible), you might want to have the repairman certification so you can continue working on your own plane. This may not even apply, but just a thought.

Interesting....I had re-sent my application to the FSDO in December because they had "lost it". No one ever said to me that a personal interview was required. In fact they had no problem with doing it through the mail.

I called them yesterday to check on my status. Well it is all done except for the Inspectors signature and putting it in the mail. Hmm.. how long can that take? Stay tuned.

A&P Currency

n250jg said:
What are the currency requirements for an A&P cert? Is there a biannual flight review equivalent (i.e. training, testing, review, etc.) that you must go through to continue performing work as an A&P? I was just thinking that if you ever see yourself for some reason letting your A&P certification get out of currency (if that's possible), you might want to have the repairman certification so you can continue working on your own plane. This may not even apply, but just a thought.

I hope Mel will reply to this one as I'd like to hear what he has to say about it.

An A&P to remain "current" is supposed to have worked as an A&P for "six months out of the previous 24 months".
I hadn't done any work as an A&P for 15 years before I started building my RV-7A. After I'd been building for about a year I contact my local FSDO, to inquire about the currency requirements. The guy I emailed said that building a homebuilt satisfies my currency requirements. Since then I've done a little A&P work on some friends airplanes. (If you have an A&P they will come.)

I had my Inspection Authorization (IA) years ago also but let it lapse.
I'm wondering what hoops I'll have to go through to get it back.

A&P recent esperience requirements are listed in FAR 65.83. IA renewal requirements are shown ion FAR 65.93.

A&P currency required for Conditional Inspection??

So my -9 is due for conditional inspection. My neighbor and good friend is an A&P but not current. Does this prohibit him from performing my CI?? Thanks.

So my -9 is due for conditional inspection. My neighbor and good friend is an A&P but not current. Does this prohibit him from performing my CI?? Thanks.

Sadly, yes. Currency requirements for an A&P are “ six months active within the preceding 24 months”.

I know this is an old thread but to speak to an earlier post, the only reason I’ll be applying for my Repairman’s Certificate is bc there are no currency requirements with a RC.

Sadly, yes. Currency requirements for an A&P are “ six months active within the preceding 24 months”.

I know this is an old thread but to speak to an earlier post, the only reason I’ll be applying for my Repairman’s Certificate is bc there are no currency requirements with a RC.

So he cannot do a CI because he’s not “current” but he cannot get current without being active for six months within preceding 24 months.

Performing a CI is part of being active for 6 months, No?

Hold on a second...all the ops limits say is "an appropriately rated FAA-certificated mechanic". It doesn't say anything about being current in anything.

Last edited:
Interesting question, surely some has real world data/input

###§ 65.83 Recent experience requirements.

A certificated mechanic may not exercise the privileges of his certificate and rating unless, within the preceding 24 months -

(a) The Administrator has found that he is able to do that work; or

(b) He has, for at least 6 months -

(1) Served as a mechanic under his certificate and rating;

(2) Technically supervised other mechanics;

(3) Supervised, in an executive capacity, the maintenance or alteration of aircraft; or

(4) Been engaged in any combination of paragraph (b) (1), (2), or (3) of this section.

So the only way you can keep your currency (or regain it after you become non-current) without doing anything in Aviation is to demonstrate to the "Administrator" that you are able to do that work. What this entails is not defined in the CFR's, so will be up to your local FSDO.

Back