What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a picture of your wingtip (with light)!

Scott Will

Well Known Member
Ok so I wasn't sure where to put this since the wingtips on the 7/8/9 are pretty much the same now.

I'm looking on where to locate the Whelen light unit. I'm worried that where I put mine is too far forward and the amount of heat generated by the nav light may, over time, warp or discolor the plexi? Hard to measure with the lens on but it looks like about 3/8 - 1/4" clearance.

Just wanted to see where everyone puts theirs. Thanks much!

Wings56.jpg
Wings57.jpg

I haven't seen the other side of the Whelen nav/strobe combo, but is there any reason the unit couldn't be installed at a 45 degree angle? This would keep the strobe unit from being directly in the path of the landing/taxi light. Or does the light output enough that it's really not an issue?

It is angled slightly but it's not a problem. The landing light is as low as it can go and it's pointed downward making interference a non-issue.

Randy,
Is that landing light a low voltage kitchen/house light ?
Does it make enough light at night for a landing ?

rv72004 said:
Randy,
Is that landing light a low voltage kitchen/house light ?
Does it make enough light at night for a landing ?
These are the landing lights from CreativeAir (Bill Von Dane). In my opinion, none of the lighting options really make enough light. I had the leading edge lights in my RV-6 and these lights are no more/no worse effective than the wingtip lights. At best, you can see enough of the ground to make an effective landing, but it would be stretching it to say they really light things up.

RMDs and VS strobe

Hi Scott,

We used the RMD light fixtures, the nav only light in the wingtip, and the strobe on the VS.

031504-5.jpg

051605-8.jpg

FAR Part 23.1387 specifies 110 degree viewing angle for the position light made of two intersecting vertical planes. The first is parallel to the longitudinal axis of the plane (straight forward) and the second is 110 degrees left (for left wing) or right (for right wing). I don't have measurements for the RMDs but if the face containing the landing light is 8 inches, you need to mount your nav light almost 3 inches forward of that face so it can be seen 20 degrees aft. The Creative Air's look smaller, so you wouldn't have to mount the nav light as far forward. If you do put the strobes inside the wing tip, you'll need a third strobe on the tail because these must be seen 360 degrees in the horizontal plane and 75 degrees above and below that plane (FAR Part 23.1401). These are expensive so we just put one on the tail and were covered.

I'll be at the hangar later this week so if you need any measurements let me know. Good luck.

Last edited:
How do you install nutplates for wing tip lens

Looking for advice on how everybody installed the nutplates for the wing tip lens. Bucking might crack the tips, not able to reach a squeezer in there. Pop rivets seem to be the only way. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

You could drill and countersink the holes as if you were going to rivet, and then bond them in with epoxy.

mikehoover said:
Looking for advice on how everybody installed the nutplates for the wing tip lens. Bucking might crack the tips, not able to reach a squeezer in there. Pop rivets seem to be the only way. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Set them just like any other solid rivet. They make a softer solid rivet for use in fiberglass, but you can get away with the regular ones. Just use a slightly longer rivet and don't squeeze it as hard.

Back