What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has Anyone Used The EAA Flight Test Manual?

A. A friend loaned me his to look over... this thing is exhaustive [maybe exhausting??]. Definitely covers all the bases, in one place -- clearly intended for completion-to-first-flight-to-complete-POH during the test period. Consists of a manual and a flip stack of test cards. Very professional, and definitely puts it all in one bag [starts with fuel flow test, through basic controllability, to performance numbers, to trim performance, to 'runaway electric pitch trim' -- use what you need]. If you do it all, you'll have a VERY comprehensive understanding of your airplane's performance.
B. EAA is doing a webinar on the manual, 1/23/19 -- probably some spots left for sign-up. Might be the least expensive way to assess whether you want it.

They did a really good job on it.

I saw a draft of the document back in May, and there was a whole, whole lot to like about the document. It was well written, very thorough and covered all the bases that needed to be covered, but as a result, it was not light reading -- unavoidable, comes with the territory.

The draft did not talk about using recorded digital flight data like is on the Garmin G3X Touch and also on the Dynon. (I think the G3X data is a little more complete, although the Dynon is recorded two times per second instead of once). I've been thinking that when I put the constant speed prop on the RV-9A, I'll probably fly performance tests using the digital data, and I can probably do it much faster than with manually recorded data, especially with the autopilot flying. Then again, I've done FOQA development in my career and am comfortable with those processes.

I will admit, though, that when it comes to using performance numbers in the real world, I use such fat safety margins that precise numbers don't come into play -- and I dipstick the tanks all the time. I've found that on really long X-C, sometimes the destination airport gas is unavailable, so I try to land with two hours of gas so I can go somewhere else if I need to. It's saved me at least once.

I have the manual, but still few months or more from flying. Lots of data to fill out and to me seems to tie into a 2nd pilot just to help record everything.

It makes more sense to me though than just flying 40 hours of circles we all know some planes do.

EAA Webinars

And for those interested, EAA will be hosting a webinar on this soon:

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 from 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM CST

Presenter: Tom Charpentier, Vic Syracuse

EAA Government Relations Director Tom Charpentier and Homebuilt Aircraft Council Chairman Vic Syracuse discuss the EAA Flight Test Manual, an exciting new offering from EAA that contains a step-by-step program for flight testing. The program takes the builder, restorer, and/or owner from first engine runs to creating their own customized operating handbook. Qualifies for FAA WINGS credit.

http://pages.eaa.org/WBN2019-01-23IntroducingtheEAAFlightTestManual_LP-Registration.html

I used one of the early drafts of the manual (and have been reviewing the various versions for a couple of years) for a complete program on one of my airplanes - it is a good, solid program that will not only test the airplane, but make you a better pilot in the process. I plan to use the final printed version when I test the new airplane (hopefully in a couple of months) and will see how it does with something “unusual” - but I already know that for mainstream aircraft (like RV’s), it is a good program.

Full Disclosure - I am a member of the EAA HAC that helped (among many others) shepherd the program to completion.

Paul

I was looking at this and thinking this would be a terrific way to get to know the RV-6A that I recently purchased, especially since no manual was provided with the purchase that had performance numbers specific to my airplane.

I used one of the early drafts of the manual (and have been reviewing the various versions for a couple of years) for a complete program on one of my airplanes - it is a good, solid program that will not only test the airplane, but make you a better pilot in the process. I plan to use the final printed version when I test the new airplane (hopefully in a couple of months) and will see how it does with something ?unusual? - but I already know that for mainstream aircraft (like RV?s), it is a good program.

Full Disclosure - I am a member of the EAA HAC that helped (among many others) shepherd the program to completion.

Paul

I think a version that skipped the knee board notes and gave maneuvers/tests for those who have modern panels with built-in data recording.

I bet that is well over 50% of the RV's being completed. :)

EAA Flight test program

I just received mine and am very impressed with how comprehensive it is and plan to use most of it. I spent dozens of hours planning and writing my own program. That work will now become, in large part, footnotes on the EAA cards.

I will need to depart from the program, to some extent, to accomidate the challenges of trying to break in a new engine from an airport at 5,800'. Fortunately, the cold air of January will help me a little, both for density altitude and for cooling.

I recomend buying this package early in your build. There is advice in there that can come in handy.

I recomend buying this package early in your build. There is advice in there that can come in handy.
Can you give an example or two? I'm in the early stages of a build (not an RV). I'll eventually use the flight test manual but figured I'd hold off buying it until near the end, to catch the 3 or 4 or 10 years worth of revisions that will probably be made.

I think a version that skipped the knee board notes and gave maneuvers/tests for those who have modern panels with built-in data recording.

I bet that is well over 50% of the RV's being completed. :)

Here?s no reason that you can?t use the program just as it is with data recording Gil - just don?t write down numbers - put a check mark next to each step to show you?ve completed it.

Nothing complicated about that.

Paul

Paul

Hi Paul - the EAA in the US is far ahead in so many areas - and this is an example. I am a member from Australia for that reason. This manual would be a great help; I?m early in my build but want to get a copy.

The issue for us so far away, is that a $22 manual will have $50 of shipping attached to it!!

Is there anyway to buy it in electronic format and print it here as required? I bet the EAA would have thousands of international members and electronic delivery of documents would be a good idea. I personally would pay the normal full price (for the printed version) with no issues.

EAA Test flight program

Can you give an example or two? I'm in the early stages of a build (not an RV). I'll eventually use the flight test manual but figured I'd hold off buying it until near the end, to catch the 3 or 4 or 10 years worth of revisions that will probably be made.
Dale,
It contains advice on recordkeeping, W&B, rough Pitot/static check and Fuel flow tests. These proceedures, as well as the flight testing itseld are not likely to change any time soon.

Hi Paul - the EAA in the US is far ahead in so many areas - and this is an example. I am a member from Australia for that reason. This manual would be a great help; I?m early in my build but want to get a copy.

The issue for us so far away, is that a $22 manual will have $50 of shipping attached to it!!

Is there anyway to buy it in electronic format and print it here as required? I bet the EAA would have thousands of international members and electronic delivery of documents would be a good idea. I personally would pay the normal full price (for the printed version) with no issues.

Hi Trent - We were told that they were looking at an electronic version...but not being part of the headquarters staff, I have no idea when that might be available. The advisory committee (HAC) strongly supported them making it available electronically!

Paul

Hi Trent - We were told that they were looking at an electronic version...but not being part of the headquarters staff, I have no idea when that might be available. The advisory committee (HAC) strongly supported them making it available electronically!

Paul

I was just at an EAA Chapters Leaders workshop in Oshkosh over the weekend and they said the digital download version will be available shortly and will be VERY inexpensive (I think I heard $7 or $8 USD)

I bought the hardcopy version while I was there as we received 25% off for being part of the workshop. Had I not, I would have waited for the digital version as, like you Trent, shipping even to Canada is expensive.

Cheers

40 hours???

Does the use of the manual eliminate the 40 hour Phase I? The 40 hour Phase I is seriously out dated.

Just curious as I approach Phase I on a new plane.

Does the use of the manual eliminate the 40 hour Phase I? The 40 hour Phase I is seriously out dated.

Just curious as I approach Phase I on a new plane.

Not yet - but that is the eventual goal. First, we (the EAA) have to show that it works and is an effective tool,. And then work it into a round of policy making at the FAA. Just like anything with the agency , it will take time.....

Paul

Existence theorem: at least one DAR is OK with EAA FTM

The relevant passage from my program letter:

Initial flights will determine engine reliability and flight control characteristics, and generally follow the EAA Flight Test Manual, Ver. 1.0, as well as guidance in AC 90-89.

As the just-revised signature shows, the DAR was OK with it. He did want copies of the first two test cards (non-flying fuel flow, engine and taxi tests) and the first flight card with appropriate edits for a Vans RV-9A to be able to show FAA he checked for evidence of builder's intentions.

He explicitly say not to copy anything more, because plans almost always change over the course of Phase 1.

Back