What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL30/40 functions using stick button?

GolfBravo

Does the SL30/40 have capibility for a stick mounted buttons to control any functions i.e. Flip Flop or User stored frequency selecting?

Thanks, Greg Bartel

If I recall correctly, the SL30 has a remote flip-flop input but the SL40 does not.

mcb

You are correct, Rosie

Last edited by a moderator:
SL30 stick mounted buttons

The flip/flop works, I have it stick mounted and use it frequently.

Sadly, it does not have the ability to scroll through a list of programmed frequencies from the stick, like some radios. A friend uses a (on)-off-(on) switch with a Microair to first select the freq and then flip/flop.

The SL30 also had a serial connection which allows a lot of info to pass between it and other boxes. I can autotune both comm and Nav from my Blue Mountain, as well as drive the HSI all through the serial connection.

James Freeman

Anyone have an SL 40 Installation Manual?

If someone could look that would be great. Wish Garmin listed it on there web site.

Another Flip-Flop Question

I have a remote flip-flop on the stick, but it?s connected to the GPS/Comm instead of the SL30. However, the SL30 does have a remote flip-flop input and allows you to toggle the comm frequencies when they are displayed or the nav frequencies when they are displayed. Sorry, I can?t help you out on the SL40.

To piggy-back on your thread I have another question regarding the remote flip-flop feature. If you have two radios with this capability and are using them through an audio panel (GNC 300XL/SL30/PS7000 in my case, but any combination of equipment would apply), is it possible to use the remote flip-flop on the radio that is selected as the transmitting radio? For example, when transmitting on Nav2 the remote switch will toggle the frequencies on the second radio instead of the first. On our first long x/c I thought that feature would have been nice.

Thanks to all

Someone who has an SL40 took some digital pics of the wiring diagram and e-mailed them to me. As some have already stated, the SL40 does not have this capability.

n250jg said:
I have a remote flip-flop on the stick, but it?s connected to the GPS/Comm instead of the SL30. However, the SL30 does have a remote flip-flop input and allows you to toggle the comm frequencies when they are displayed or the nav frequencies when they are displayed. Sorry, I can?t help you out on the SL40.

To piggy-back on your thread I have another question regarding the remote flip-flop feature. If you have two radios with this capability and are using them through an audio panel (GNC 300XL/SL30/PS7000 in my case, but any combination of equipment would apply), is it possible to use the remote flip-flop on the radio that is selected as the transmitting radio? For example, when transmitting on Nav2 the remote switch will toggle the frequencies on the second radio instead of the first. On our first long x/c I thought that feature would have been nice.

That is an interesting question. I don't recall exactly when we did the install on our C177 what was available. I know you could have a remote that switched the PSE7000B between Com1/Com2 and that the SL30 and GX60 could both be remote switched for active/standby. However I'm not sure if you could what your wanting to or not. If I could dig up the 7000B's install manuals I could tell you for sure. We didn't install any of the options because it really seemed pointless to me. I didn't think that reaching up to change frequencies is that big a deal. It would come in handy on a approach in IMC, thats about the only time. I'd rather have a remote switched Ident button.

Back