What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fusible Link in lieu of ANL current limiter?

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I was planning on 60a and a 40a ANL current limiters for my 60a Plane Power main alternator and 40a B&C backup alternators, respectively. But, I have learned of these fusible link doodads that seem very much easier to install with fewer connections. Also, with fewer holes to drill in the firewall to mount them.

BUT.....do they do what the ANLs do? For.....Against?

Haven't used fusible links personally. But on the AeroElectric-List, Bob N and Charlie E recommend them.
I have the utmost respect for both of their opinions.

My opinion

Just my opinion, but I think fusible links are fine for low ampere stuff like 5 amps and below in airplanes. But when you start talking about 20, 40, and 60 amps, I think fusible links should no be used and the ANL style is best.

When a fusible link blows, it is with a lot of fire, sparks, smoke, and stuff. It could damage other wires nearby or light on fire other things. The higher the current, the bigger the implosion. For small currents, like 5 amps, the event seems pretty mild so is probably ok forward of the firewall.

Fuses, and ANL fuses with proper holders, contain all this fire sparks and stuff, so do not allow the event to cause problems with other nearby circuits.

I used only two fusible links in my build; both of 30 awg to supply unfused power to my LED strip for the baggage light.

By the way, the fusing current for 16awg wire is something like 120 amps ( dont quote me on that). And is very dependent on the environment and thermal dissipation, etc

Last edited:
Back