to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janekom View Post
Well I have seen a few tip-up take-off with the canopy not latched. This now will hopefully eliminate this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
Been there, done that. A non-event.
I've done it, and I don't think I'd be so calvaier with it as to say "non-event". Keeping the passenger calm while she held on to that handle was an extra task while coordinating a quick return to a rather busy non-towered airport.

To your other point about "nice to have": You may be correct. I doubt many of us who have missed it once would ever miss it a second time.

[And the passegner in question still flies with me often, and she has a memory like an ele... well, she has a good memory]

Last edited by rolivi : 12-26-2022 at 11:34 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-26-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrymark View Post
For a retro fit, it’s much easier and cheaper to add a contact switch to the canopy latch as Draker has done. Mine is configured to contact the latch lug so it cannot be tripped without the canopy being closed and latched, so only one switch is needed. Switches available at Amazon-10 for $6. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZVJD1GC...roduct_details
I glued mine on with RTV and it seems quite secure. Quick and easy. My plan is to drill for a #4 bolt only if needed because failure would only result in an “OPEN” indication which could be quickly and easily identified as false.

Best tip of the day..... Cheap and simple.
Click image for larger version

Name:	canopy alarm.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	35729
Weighs less than the kit from Van's.... run one (ground) wire and you're done.
I will fit mine on the front, like the picture, but mount it on the back
to make it disappear.

As mentioned above, you only do it once. My RV is very trim neutral and saved my stupid a$$...

I had just lifted off, and the canopy started to float. Without thinking, my throttle hand grabbed the handle and at the same time, my stick hand latched the canopy. No one was flying the airplane..... it just happened to be in prefect trim and just carried on.

Please understand, this was NOT a planned action, it was a stupid reaction that the airplane saved me from.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2022 =VAF= Dues PAID