What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5' 10" 200lbs too big gor an RV-4?

Saville

Well Known Member
5' 10" 200lbs too big for an RV-4?

In the past I've read postings in VAF discussing how a fairly large person can comfortably fit into an RV-4.

But I've had someone recently tell me that as a 5' 10" 200 lbs guy I would find an RV-4 front seat excruciatingly uncomfy. Note this is not about 6'5" guys and front seats moved back but stock -4. The word was that RV-4's were built for 5' 8", skinny guys.

Surprises me a little. I'm sure there are a few opinions out there ;)

Last edited:
Seat cushion

I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam. I use a booster cushion and still have a couple of inches above my head.

6" 250LB

My RV-4 does have the seat moved back by the builder, I have also flown stock RV-4s and there fine to, it's all in the seat, if you find one you like but you don't fit take the seat out and make your own seat, every RV-4 seat is custom.

seating

i don't think you'll have a problem. where in mass are you located. best thing to do is try one on. i have a few friends in mass they would let you try sitting in the 4

danny

i don't think you'll have a problem. where in mass are you located. best thing to do is try one on. i have a few friends in mass they would let you try sitting in the 4

danny

I live on the North Shore. If you could point me to a -4 North of 90 and more towards the east that would be great.

I think I need to do this.

Thanks

Time determines all

You'll be very comfortable...for the first hour:D

Jim (6'0", 195 pounds, 1 hour a$$)
RV-4
N444JT

Last edited:
I'm 5ft 11", 215 and 34" inseam. Putting on the RV4 is what it's all about. :DOnce you get it on, it's not that bad.

Due to a broken pelvis and herniated disks in my lumbar I had my seat made for me at Oregon Aero. Without their work I would not be flying.

My seat is back as far as it will go without major mods. The pedals as far forward as possible. For my feet I have some ultra thin slippers that I wear to extend my legs another 1/2 inch. All of this it works for me.

I came to the RV line after owning a Cessna Cardinal 177A for over 20 years as well as a few Citabrias. At times I do miss the room to open up a map or the seat on the right to set my clip board on but I have gotten use to it. These are so cheap to operate it is to the point of being ridiculous.

Try one on, if you like it then adjust the seat to make it work for you.

Tim

I'm 6-1 240 and my 4 is built stock seat wise, with the exception that the rudder cable links were shortened a bit to bring the petals a little farther back because my height is in my torso. I fit just fine in it. I have flown it from texas to florida and have no problem sitting in it for cross country flights. about the 5-8 skinny guys i doubt it, van is taller than 5-8.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

The butt time limit is simply a function of the seat design. With a good seat that spreads the load out you can be fine for hrs. With a crude bench seat that puts your entire weight on 2 points, one at the bottom of each cheek, you are going to suffer. Read the bengelis article in one of his books.

The butt time limit is simply a function of the seat design. With a good seat that spreads the load out you can be fine for hrs. With a crude bench seat that puts your entire weight on 2 points, one at the bottom of each cheek, you are going to suffer. Read the bengelis article in one of his books.

100% correct, I can sit in mine for as long as I have gas, it's all in the seat design/fit.

5'11" and 205 lbs. Over 700 hours in RV-4's.

Flown an RV-4 from full to VFR reserves (3.5 hours). Flown six hours per day many times. Find a comfy but fairly thin seat pad to preserve your headroom. Cinch your belts in significant turbulence.

Hi Gregg,

I'm north of the Pike but west of 495 in Fitchburg (FIT). You are always welcome to sit in mine. As others have said, most -4s are customized to fit their owners. I'm 5'9" and 165lbs. If you are significantly different, you may not find mine comfortable, but I can show you the typical (minor) changes people make to fit themselves comfortably.

Regards,

Hi Gregg,

I'm north of the Pike but west of 495 in Fitchburg (FIT). You are always welcome to sit in mine. As others have said, most -4s are customized to fit their owners. I'm 5'9" and 165lbs. If you are significantly different, you may not find mine comfortable, but I can show you the typical (minor) changes people make to fit themselves comfortably.

Regards,

Dean,

Sent you a PM.

No problem

I am 6'2" and 215. I have flown a few -4's from the front and back. Footwells in the back are a must, and I am comfortable either seat. The RV-4 was MEANT to be worn.

:D

GB

Good seats will make all the difference.

Some builders extend the panel downwards that can interfere with leg room for long-legged pilots.

I've just upgraded to a set of Flightline Interiors' confor foam seats which passed the 2 hour test. Abby does a good job.

The ultimate, from the man who knows, must be Jon Johanson's race car seat conversion - http://www.flymore.com.au/seats.html - which have passed a 14 hour test!

So the impression I'm getting from the responses is that there is generally sufficient leg room, shoulder room, and butt width in a -4 to accommodate a 5'10" or even taller, 200lb person (assuming no massive downward panel extensions etc).

The issue in comfort seems to be seat shape and padding.

Thanks!

Im 5'9, 200 lbs., and wide Chested and just spent roughly 5-1/2 hours in my -4 and with the memory seat foam, it wasn't too bad. This was the seat that was already in the -4 when I bought it. I'll be making some changes to customize it to my liking. As mentioned earlier, you wear the -4 and I only cracked the top of my head once on the canopy in some heavy turbulence.

I'd much rather have an -8, but for now a -4 fits my retirement budget.

5'10-1/2" 240 lbs.

Saville, I just bought an RV4 last fall and had the same concerns. I think the skinny guys are just trying to keep the big guys away from the good RV4's. :) I get in and out no problem, my shoulders are broad but I fit comfortably. At 200lbs you should be fine. The only thing I run into is that the flap lever and my abundant posterior tend to fight with each other in the pattern but it is no issue at all. It fits me like a finely tailored suit, and flies like a home sick angel! Big RV Grin on my big round Face!!

Fat Guy in an RV-4

The title is about ME. I'm 5' 10-1/2" and 235 with a 32" inseam and I bought a flying RV-4. I have broad shoulders with a too big gut underneath. :D I fit fine. My shoulders have a tiny bit of room without touching, but most the time one side or the other is rubbing against the top longeron/canopy rail but it isn't bothersome. I've flown it comfortably for over 2 hours before without issue.

Headroom isn't an issue for me with plenty of clearance/space even with an old DC headset with thick pad. I could stand for the rudder pedals to be a bit closer or to use a thicker pad behind me but it isn't a big stretch to reach so I haven't bothered. If I want to use my parachute, I just remove the top and back cushion. I leave a small filler cushion between the spar and seat back with my 304 on top. Not optimum, but okay for short flights.

Before I bought mine, my brother who is about 5-9 and 170 was concerned I wouldn't fit well. He flies mine with no seat cushion adjustments just fine. The cockpit is roomier than one might think once down inside it.

6'5, 235.

To say I fit fine overstates as the RV-4 is a plane you wear like a snug fitting jumpsuit not a loose fitting overcoat.

Comments regarding seats are accurate but I've got some basic cushions (no space age, astro foam for me) and I'm good for the time until the tanks say land. Do I start to feel it? We yes I do, reminds me of a three hour motorcycle ride. You feel it in your butt but the rest of you is having so much fun you tell it to shut up and get with the program.

Have done two 3 plus hour legs back to back on way to Texas and it wasn't that bad. For everyday $100 hamburger runs or two hour jaunts to the beach there is simply nothing to complain about.

But in turbulence the advice on well cinched belts a must. I've only 4 point harness and head will dance on the canopy at times. I'm not worried about my head as the headset offers its own protection but at times I've wondered if I'd crack the canopy with a particularly hard whack. Usually that's time to look for another route, altitude, or airport as it seems like a better time to swap lies about flying over beer than to actually do it.

Lb for Lb the RV-4 is best value of them all. Too small a panel for someone to go nuts equipping it like it was an G5, too little room to waste on upholstery better suited to a stretch limo, so you end up with planes meant to be flown not computer games with wings.

And fly, that's what they do best. Not much not to love about the RV-4. I know the -8's got it all over the -4 in creature comforts and practicality but seriously, what exactly is practical about a two place sport plane? You want practical, buy a used Mooney. You want to fly, strap on an RV-4 - just pick smaller friends to share it with....

6'5, 235.

And fly, that's what they do best. Not much not to love about the RV-4. I know the -8's got it all over the -4 in creature comforts and practicality but seriously, what exactly is practical about a two place sport plane? You want practical, buy a used Mooney. You want to fly, strap on an RV-4 - just pick smaller friends to share it with....

Ok I'm convinced I'll comfortably fit.

But since you bring up "practical":

My mission includes about 25% cross country time. Mostly ~300 miles each way. About half of that my girl will be with me. She's about 115. So that's 12-13% of my flying.

If I have a 1000lb empty airplane, I have 500 lbs useful.

315 goes to pilot and copilot. (200+115)

192 goes for full gas tanks (32 gal at 6lbs per gal)

We are already 7 pounds over Gross limits and we haven't put any baggage in.....and we can't.

So then I have to take off with less fuel (bothersome) and when I gas up if I want 4 gallons less than full I'm going to somehow have to know when to stop filling.

So if I can find an RV-4 with modern firewall weldments......

....and long landing gear legs.......

and FI........

...and a C/S prop......(preferred but not absolutely essential)

I can't take off for an XC, two-up, with full tanks. And I somehow have to know they are empty enough.

This is what makes me hesitate on a -4.

I don't want to start a flame war but for the mission you describe RVs are flown a bit over gross all the time.

Pay attention to the CG but the absolute gross takeoff (and landing) weight for that matter is something one can adjust the 1500 lb limit with confidence IMO.

I'm sure you will get a spirited discussion I just as soon not participate in but know from experience it can and is done.

Just calculate Jon Johanson's around the world flight(s) take off weight and it may set you mind at ease a bit.

RV-4 are great cross country planes as well. At least half the hours I have in mine are on "long" cross countries of over two hour legs.

R

Last edited:
Fly Naked

Just you and your girl? Save some weight, fly naked, UPS your clothes! Buy the -4! These little buggers get nice and warm and the bubble canopy will get you a good start on a tan. :D There are a million reasons why this isn't the right airplane for you and a million and one reasons that it is! If you want to be practical, fly commercial or take the train. I had a Bonanza, practical for long cross country trips, not practical to fly around for an hour punching holes in the sky on a weekend burning a dozen gallons or more of avgas! Not that I didn't do that! I just don't think you could get more practical than a -4 for fuel burn, great cruising speed, room for your girl, low maintenance and low purchase price. If you can't adapt your missions to it, just add $$$$ money, and you can find a bird that will work! I'm just sorry, I was unaware of the economics and performance of the RV aircraft until a year ago!

I wouldn't usually advocate ignoring Van's recommended limits, but there's a general consensus that the RV-4 utility gross weight is a little conservative.

You are at liberty to choose any limit you like if you have demonstrated it in phase 1 flying, but Van's numbers are generally chosen wisely.

However the RV-6 has basically the same wing and Van's approve that to 1600lb. In the UK, where Van's limits are written into the aircraft limitations, they will approve 1550 lb.

CG is another matter though. Keep it within Van's range and you should be fine, but things can go wrong if you push them out. The aerobatics limits are also best adhered to and just flown solo.

Salto

I used an RV-4 as a Company scooter doing about 1000 hrs in it. I am 6'3" and 220lbs. i fit fine in the standard seating arrangement. My backside did hurt after an hour or so and this was resolved by changing the foam insert in the seat cushion to a gel one. Had about 1/2 in between canopy and top of headset. Have had big blokes in the back as well which probably buggered up the CofG but the aircraft flew quite well.

Back