What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Field overhaul cost of an IO-360

Lemos

Hello,

I’m negotiating on a RV-14A and the airplane needs an overhaul. The cylinders are the cam are rusty.

As I work to formulate a revised offer to the seller, can I please get a rough idea on,
(1) The cost of a field overhaul of an IO-360, and
(2) The cost to remove and reinstall the motor.

During the remove and reinstall, I assume I’ll be replacing hoses and mounts, which is likely to add a few thousand dollars to the total price.

Al

Hello,

I’m negotiating on a RV-14A and the airplane needs an overhaul. The cylinders are the cam are rusty.

As I work to formulate a revised offer to the seller, can I please get a rough idea on,

During the remove and reinstall, I assume I’ll be replacing hoses and mounts, which is likely to add a few thousand dollars to the total price.

Al

Lots of variables when considering cost. Suggested reading:
https://www.aviationconsumer.com/industry-news/editorial/resale-matters-factory-vs-field-engines/

As you pointed out, hoses, mounts, will add to cost. Don't forget mags, alternator, starter, pumps,......

If you used an engine company, they typically will include overhaul of all the related accessories. Field overhaul, you need to add accessories to the list.

While you are at it, look at the prop. Time for overhaul? Is it constant speed? If so, prop governor and so on.

If I recall, the engine had 200 hours. No need for a full overhaul. Just teardown, replace cam/lifters and any other corroded parts, reassemble and add new cylinders. A full overhaul is not really warranted here with 200 hrs since overhaul.

If I recall, the engine had 200 hours. No need for a full overhaul. Just teardown, replace cam/lifters and any other corroded parts, reassemble and add new cylinders. A full overhaul is not really warranted here with 200 hrs since overhaul.

Thank you very much for the input. I had not given that possibility much thought before reading the thread about this. Figured he was looking at a much more expensive repair than you suggested.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the input. I had not given that possibility much thought.

You could also have the cylinders honed (if corrosion is light enough) for well less than half the cost of new cylinders.

Al

To be fair, things like hoses and mounts should be replaced depending on time and/or condition, independent of engine overhaul. e.g., they should have already been factored into the price, prior to engine inspection results.

true, may not need a full overhaul. but if i am making an offer, i would consider “worse case” and assume it needs the full overhaul. only way to know what is really needed is a full tear down.

Thank you very much for the input. I had not given that possibility much thought before reading the thread about this. Figured he was looking at a much more expensive repair than you suggested.

Me to! Thanks for the message lr172.
Is $30,000 about right to budget for an IO-360 overhaul?

Me to! Thanks for the message lr172.
Is $30,000 about right to budget for an IO-360 overhaul?

If i was a seller and buyer found rust on the cam and cylinders, I would not accept a $30K reduction if priced at market value. That is simply extreme for the problem found.

Those issues can be addressed by a competent shop for well under $15k, likely well under 10. Asking for a full overhaul allowance on an engine with 200 hours doesn’t seem reasonable to me. No reason to suspect an oh is called for.
I would expect the seller to quickly say goodbye after the $30k request.

Just one mans opinion

Larry

Last edited:
If i was a seller and buyer found rust on the cam and cylinders, I would not accept a $30K reduction if priced at market value. That is simply extreme for the problem found.

Those issues can be addressed by a competent shop for well under $15k, likely well under 10. Asking for a full overhaul allowance on an engine with 200 hours doesn’t seem reasonable to me. No reason to suspect an oh is called for.
I would expect the seller to quickly say goodbye after the $30k request.

Just one mans opinion

Larry

I received a quote of $5,500 to remove and reinstall the motor. The cylinders are estimated to be $4,700, and I am told to expect around $6000 for the camshaft and other parts. But the shop did say that it could get as high as $25,000 or so when they get it open and see the extent of the damage.

So it appears to me that I am looking at somewhere between $17,000 and $30,000.

Do you have a shop or a builder that may be able to do the job less expensively? I want the airplane, but I do not want to shoulder the majority or all of the risk here

risk

I received a quote of $5,500 to remove and reinstall the motor. The cylinders are estimated to be $4,700, and I am told to expect around $6000 for the camshaft and other parts. But the shop did say that it could get as high as $25,000 or so when they get it open and see the extent of the damage.

So it appears to me that I am looking at somewhere between $17,000 and $30,000.

Do you have a shop or a builder that may be able to do the job less expensively? I want the airplane, but I do not want to shoulder the majority or all of the risk here
Might check with the Savvy guys to see if you can pay them to help you solve this problem. They seem to be able to save people a lot of money, based on the stories they mail me from time to time.

IMHO I would recommend the SELLER have the necessary work preformed at a well respected shop. Eliminates anxiety and a win win for both buyer and seller. The seller will pay for this one way another anyway I suspect?

If he has it priced as if it had a 0 time-SMOH then yes, deduct the cost of a full overhaul and then be ready to negotiate. I suspect this engine has been sitting a while somewhere if not on this plane. If you don't make a fair offer, he will run from the deal.

An overhaul is not the way I'd go.

Instead, I would be interested in a repair of what's necessary (if necessary) - the cam and lifters being the thing that requires splitting the case.

The problem, however, is that when you are faced with disassembling the engine, you don't know what you're going to find. Maybe there's a crack somewhere in the case? Issues with the bushings in the rods? New cylinders (maybe not), new pistons & rings (probably good idea) and cylinder honing, valve seats, valve guides? Condition of crankshaft? New bearings? Etc., etc.

I would probably make a rough estimate that engine repair (regardless of hours) will come in around 2/3 - 3/4 of the cost of an overhaul. Factor that into the offering price, and go with that. If that doesn't work, hard as it may be, I'd probably move on.

Dan

Hello,

Al

Call Ed Rachanski at Power By Blueprint. Small custom shop in Chicago area. Been in business 50 years.

He did my Arrow engine a few years ago. Very happy. As an insurance adjuster I’ve had about a dozen engines go through the shop on claims and all happy too.

He will talk to you and give you advice whether you use him or not. And an overhaul cost of course...

Eric

Ed - +1 (708) 790-0108

Last edited:
I bought a plane with 440 snew on the engine but had been sitting and had a rusty cam. I assumed a full OH and was glad I did. When we opened it up nothing was worn out, but we found corrosion elsewhere. For example all the piston pins and rocker shafts had pits. The accessory gears were pitted also. By the time I added it up I was 3/4 of the way to full OH so I just bit the bullet and majored it.

There are over 10,000 RV's out there. I know you have your heart set on this one but don't try to justify a best case scenario.

Thank you. I have been exchanging communication with Savvy and their advice is demand an overhaul or walk away from the transaction.

That seems like the correct advice for you. I don’t see a seller taking off full shop prices so you will likely walk.

Another buyer will take the engine off, put it back on by himself and find an inexpensive shop for the overhaul saving thousands compared to what you will pay and accordingly deduct less.... .

Oliver

Back