What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 912iS - Abrupt Drop in Oil Pressure

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
N921EN_DataLog_1-L.jpg

Log Data Graph by SavvyAnalysis

2/28/2020
Abrupt Drop in Oil Pressure - RV-12iS w/Rotax 912iS Sport engine
Occurred during run-up phase on 1st flight attempt.

The chart above (SavvyAnalysis) reveals an abrupt and significant drop in oil pressure at about the 6min mark. The agreed opinion of the knowledge-base at Lockwood and Leading Edge was that the problem is likely caused by trash entering the oil pressure regulator. Their explanation; unlike the the oil pump on the 912ULS which feeds the integral pressure regulator 'filtered' oil, the new design pump on the 912iS Sport feeds the integral pressure regulator 'unfiltered' oil.

Resolve: Removed oil regulator; found 3-small specks of what appeared to be manufacturing filings and no scoring on piston. Cleaned parts, reassembled, problem solved.

Aside: Based on personal experience, I strongly suggest that you verify the spark plug gaps on your factory new engine. And if you haven't already, download and become familiar with the Rotax MML and MMH manuals available free at Rotax-Owner.com.

The information presented herein is for reference only and is based on our experience.

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Had I seen a transient in oil pressure I probably would have chalked it up to sensor or wiring issue. Good catch!

Had I seen a transient in oil pressure I probably would have chalked it up to sensor or wiring issue. Good catch!

Not a difficult catch when you hear "low oil pressure" in your headset. The event was not transient; sustained 42 lb drop at 2300 rpm (55lbs to 13lbs) / slightly higher pressure at increased rpm and as low as 7 lbs at lower rpm.

Ernie,

I had a wiring issue with my sensor that gave me random and persistent low oil pressure alarms including ?Bitchin? Betty? screaming ?Oil pressure low? in my ear. I changed out the sensor and the pressure regulator plug before I finally nabbed that gremlin, so I congratulate you again on a good catch!😁

Rich

Ernie,

I had a wiring issue with my sensor that gave me random and persistent low oil pressure alarms including ?Bitchin? Betty? screaming ?Oil pressure low? in my ear. I changed out the sensor and the pressure regulator plug before I finally nabbed that gremlin, so I congratulate you again on a good catch!😁

Rich

Ernie's issue was with a 912iS engine. In many ways similar to a ULS, but in many other ways very different.

All of the engine related data is obtained from sensors that are connected to the factory installed engine harness. There is no builder involvement in any engine wiring other than plugging in a couple of large pre-populated harness plugs. This makes all the sensor connections very reliable.

All of the engine data is then fed to the EFIS system by the engine computers via CAN buss. So short of an actual sensor failure (I haven't heard of any), the probability of an erroneous indication is far lower than it is for a 912ULS.

Back