What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Project: Design RV-6 Tire Jack

mbauer

Well Known Member
Working on a creating a portable RV Jac.

Came up with a simple screw jack setup. Now working on getting it manufactured by a local fabrication shop.

Gone through several design changes, have a final edition that isn?t shown, it is over at the metal fab shop for a price quote. As you can see from the photos, I?m not the best welder?.

The one that will be built will be close to the following prototype specs:
Weight: 1lb 0.1 oz
Height Before Extension: 4.5?
Height Extended: 7.25?
Base: 3? x 4? x 1/8? Mild Steel Plate
Tower: 1? square mild steel tube
Screw lift: ?? All Thread

Normally would need a 7/8? wrench to work the nut, now using a square tube and some pins, trying to go tool-less as you can see in some of the photos. Clearing a flat tire/disc brake became a challenge with a couple of the designs.

Photos show some of the prototypes, there are more.

Photo of the best working ones, the one on the right had great promise, until it started leaning while it was being extended; lightest one of the group at 14.2oz, the handles at the bottom hit the tire when full or flat had to use the hose clamp again, it did raise the RV using just the handles to rotate:

1-Several-Prototypes.jpg

This photo shows sliding under the axle. Problem with this jack was it could not be placed under the axle like designed for. Had to slide and lock it under the hose clamp further out. The tabs hit the disc brake?. It did miss the flat tire when it is under the axle, just couldn?t rotate the nut to extend it.
2-Low-Enough.jpg

This photo shows the lift available to get the tire off the ground when full. Notice had to lift on the hose clamp due to the disc brake issue.

3-Lift.jpg

Another angle while extended.

4-Lift.jpg

A different prototype at work. This one cost quite a bit of money for the parts. Over 3lbs but can lift over 7?. Main/bottom thread and nut are from a pipe jack stand.

6-D-Lift.jpg

Trying to get the RV Jac under the axle on pavement and having enough lift was a challenge. In dirt it will be a non-issue, just use the base to scrape a pad.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Funny timing, I was thinking of this same type of solution just the other day. Seems a screw jack is the most compact method. I was considering an aluminum body and steel screw.

Funny timing, I was thinking of this same type of solution just the other day. Seems a screw jack is the most compact method. I was considering an aluminum body and steel screw.

Looked at aluminum as well for the "tower" part. Biggest issue for me is all the aluminum in town is 1" pipe or tube with .125" walls. The mild steel has .065 walls. The only real weight saving would be the base, both would be 1/8" thick.

I have enough aluminum to make several, but after looking at the savings, decided it would be easier to drill a couple of lightning holes in the mild steel tower. The aluminum I have was for a different project, but would work on this.

A couple of holes should get the weight down under 1lb. The final prototype weighed in at 1lb 0.1oz.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Looked at aluminum as well for the "tower" part. Biggest issue for me is all the aluminum in town is 1" pipe or tube with .125" walls. The mild steel has .065 walls. The only real weight saving would be the base, both would be 1/8" thick.

I have enough aluminum to make several, but after looking at the savings, decided it would be easier to drill a couple of lightning holes in the mild steel tower. The aluminum I have was for a different project, but would work on this.

A couple of holes should get the weight down under 1lb. The final prototype weighed in at 1lb 0.1oz.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Makes sense. I have a metal supply house down the street and a 12x28 lathe, so I could make a custom part as needed.

RV6 Tire Jack Needs Tested

I plan to advertise and sell these RV6 Jacks.

At present I have one left that I would like to send to someone to test.

If you are interested in testing one; I need to know what feedback you will have, what you like/dislike about them, more than willing to send the last prototype to you for testing.

Please PM me and we can communicate to get it on the way to your location.

Photos show the completed prototypes. You will need to have a 7/8" wrench to operate the screw jack.

These are designed for 5.00x5 tires. Other sizes will need modification to fit under the axle and give enough lift.

Here are three photos of the prototypes, these were made while creating jigs to construct them for a production.
RV6-Jack1.jpg

RV6-Jack2.jpg

RV6-Jack3.jpg

The prototype weighs in at 1lb, has two coats of zinc phosphate primer, three coats of Rust-Oleum Bright Coat Metallic Finish paint. The paint will be changed.

The Metallic Finish is not very durable, after drying for 48-hours it is soft and finger prints, scratches etc. show up like crazy. Clear coating did not work. Too bad as they look just like chrome when sanding with 1000 grit wet/dry for the final coat!

Interested? Please PM.

I've read where most carry spare tire and tubes, but not many have jacks. These should help change tires to get back in the air with just one person operation. Not that big, 3"x4" base, the tower is right at 4-1/2" high when retracted and weigh only 1lb.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
I am interested Mike. Email on the way. Flying to some ?interesting? airstrips without services I would love to have a jack like that.

Mike,
I can't seem to tell what the jack is lifting against.
You have nice pictures but the detail is not clear to me, meaning I don't understand what it is grabing or pushing/lifting against.

I like this idea as I am that flys without a jack and had experianced a flat away from home. not fun.

Band Clamp?

Mike,
I can't seem to tell what the jack is lifting against.
You have nice pictures but the detail is not clear to me, meaning I don't understand what it is grabing or pushing/lifting against.

I like this idea as I am that flys without a jack and had experianced a flat away from home. not fun.

Looks like he has a band clamp around the gear leg just after it bends horizontal. I have been carrying a couple U-Bold to make something for a jack to hold on to...

Cool little Jack. How much are they going to sell for?

I've read where most carry spare tire and tubes, but not many have jacks. These should help change tires to get back in the air with just one person operation. Not that big, 3"x4" base, the tower is right at 4-1/2" high when retracted and weigh only 1lb.

I really like the idea, but having to carry a (heavy) 7/8" wrench also, would be a deal breaker for me.
For most RV owners, the jack would be the only use for that wrench (I happen to have large barrel plugs that need it for the ign. lead nuts, but most don't) and it probably would double the weight penalty of hauling the jack (would need to call the jack weight 2 pounds instead of 1).

An alternative would be to get a quote on a water jetted aluminum open end wrench with a short handle that could be part of the jack "kit".

7/8 wrench

I believe many would carry a 7/8 wrench to change spark plugs. Though maybe that was his rational.

I believe many would carry a 7/8 wrench to change spark plugs. Though maybe that was his rational.

An open end wrench (which is what it looks like would be required to use the jack) is not very user friendly for changing a spark plug....

My mistake

?An open end wrench (which is what it looks like would be required to use the jack) is not very user friendly for changing a spark plug....?

I forgot I had a deep socket modified to accept a 7/8 wrench.

I?ll return to the dog house

Can the lifting screw be removed and reinserted easily? If so, a 7/8? gearwrench could be used for quick jacking.

7/8" Wrench:

At work on lunch:

The 7/8" wrench fits the nut. Tried various options to not use a wrench, they all hit the disc brake back. A wrench is the only thing that will work.

Fabrication shop who will be welding these up suggests a small "stamped" wrench they can make to loose weight.

These are in the test phase, didn't want to get tooling involved until I know they will work. So, for now looking at a 7/8" wrench.

Plan to stop by second hand store to purchase as many as I can and cut the end off to save weight.

I have my testers setup. Now to get these heading their way for testing! Hopefully results will be in favor of them, with great ideas how to improve.

Will be working on weight savings, and ease of use. Lightning holes can save weight without ruining lifting ability.

Going to ask testers to list their gripes/likes here on this thread so everyone will know as fast as I do. Then you get to see what changes are needed.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Is there any sort of a stop to prevent the extensible part from coming right out of the tube?

Dave

Yes, welded on washer at the bottom.

First concern when testing...Welded the first ones myself, so lots of concerns, decided to leave the welding to the professionals.

Good that I work selling welding supplies, know plenty of professional welders/shops.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Price?

Price?
Not sure yet, will depend on time to construct, paying professional welders to fabricate.

Jigs have been constructed, but they will probably change a little after last discussions with Dan the owner of fabrication shop.

He is on vacation right now enjoying Hawaii, sunny days and big waves...

Already have one great idea passed along, good enough that it needs investigated, this will change construction technique if it pays off. Will need to offset the weight increase, but gives a couple of advantages, just wished I'd thought to try it before getting this far!

Thank you KiloWhiskey1!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

For the wrench, you could drill holes in the nut and use a 3/16" rod as the wrench.

I'm very interested as well, but would also like to see better detail of what you are using for a jack point on the gear.

Usable with wheel fairings on?

My experience has been that a flat put the fairing on the ground such the lower screws holding the fairing on cannot be reached --- figured I would have to have something that would lift the wing.

If this design would work with fairings, it would be nice solution.

Ron

My experience has been that a flat put the fairing on the ground such the lower screws holding the fairing on cannot be reached --- figured I would have to have something that would lift the wing.

Ron

Wow, something I didn't think of, yes even with air in the tires still have to get really low to unscrew...

After thinking this over, when stranded at a remote location/no help available will still have this issue. Will a wing tie-down jack be available? probably not unless you bring one with you. Wonder if possible to taxi onto a 2x4 or rock to raise wheel pant high enough, of course that is going to take a bunch of rpm's- now have prop dings to contend with. At the same time if flat happens when landing a rough strip is not going to be kind to the fairings. Catch 22....Two people might be able to have one lift the wing by using their back and the second person slide a rock, etc. under the tire to get at the screws.

This is a great point, will take more thought. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:

Ron

Hi Ron,

I actually have a set of these somewhere. Thinking the Phillips will now be in the RV ASAP.
screwdrivers.png

Never thought to add them to my tool kit.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Photos From JB

JB volunteered to test one of these. He used the jack for brake maintenance.

He sent some photos, asked if ok to share them. He replied that it was.

Here are some photos of the jack at work.
JB1.jpg

JB2.jpg

JB3.jpg

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Can the lifting screw be removed and reinserted easily? If so, a 7/8? gearwrench could be used for quick jacking.
It could, but how would you lower it again? You'd have to flip over the gear wrench, so you'd have to remove it first, and the plane is jacked up...

I have a beta version too. Tried to lift my friend RV9 but didn?t remove the wheel. It gets the job done. I used a hose clamp as an anchoring point.

Hi Roy,

Yes, and No. Have contacted Doug about advertising, been waiting on a call letting me know when can start.

In the mean time, thinking will list them on eBay for now. I have 4-made up and ready to go.

Have not finalized a price yet, will be around $125 each, they are getting fabricated by a professional welding crew/business. This ads to the price considerably.

After talking with Vlad, the small angled screwdriver with a ratchet head works great on flat tires. I just bought one at a local hardware store, it was $15.

Trying to find a source for the simple 90deg bent Phillips screwdrivers to get at the lower screws when tire is flat at this time. The bent screwdrivers can be purchased as a set, for $5 locally. Plan to include one of the 90deg bent screwdrivers as part of the jack purchase.

Also looking at options for a lighter weight 7/8" wrench.

Fab (Steelhead Industrial LLC) shop tried to use a plasma to make some wrenches, that did not work as planned, will stop in at Metal Magic (local oilfield machine shop) to see if they can stamp out some wrenches.

Have had this project on hold for a couple of months, due to my son-in-law racing in the World's Longest, Toughest Snow Machine Race: 2020 Irondog Snow Machine Race.

2400-miles Fairbanks to Nome and then finish at Big Lake. Today was the end of the race. Team 19 did not finish, finished the race in Unakleet when they could not continue due to several crashes and medical issues, along with mechanical problems.

Now can get back on project. Wrenches and screwdriver sources.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

I would buy one. I'll bet a stubby 7/8 wrench would give you plenty of torque and weigh little.

As for getting to the lowest screws on the wheel fairing with a flat tire, I carry a really short Phillips head screwdriver. Then, after my second flat away from home, I just began leaving out the toughest screw to get to. (I think it's the lowest screw on the inboard side of the fairing.) My plane doesn't seem to know the difference.

John

Last edited:
Jack

I like Mike's jack. Not sure what happened to it.

In the meantime, my solution for fixing flats on a RV-6A while on the road:

The jack weights 3.1 pounds. I leave the screw clamps on the axle.
I modified the jack to accept a receiver cup from an old floor jack.
I used Self-Fusing tape on the gear leg before installing the screw clamp to protect the paint and prevent the clamp from sliding up.
I'd like to carry a lighter jack (like Mike's), but this is the best low cost solution I could come up with that can be carried. It jacks up the wheel quickly on my -6A with no stability issues.

Linn

Attachments

• IMG_4173.jpg
    IMG_4173.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Mike’s jack weighs only 15 ounces.

Attachments

• EE840716-8726-44D8-B379-294D0387A22F.jpg
    EE840716-8726-44D8-B379-294D0387A22F.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 160
Don’t forget a tire pump !

Lots of hi pressure bicycle pumps 8-9 “ long super light to put in your bag
Regarding a Jack just in case you don’t have one too young guys or three old guys under the wing with their backs on the spar can handle pick up the plane and you throw a 2 x 4 under the axle while you play with the tire

Cheers
Peter

RV-Jack Update

Haven't been frequenting this site very much lately.

Notice some questions and comments on the jack.

Yes, I've sold a few, Covid has caused some issues with getting them made.

I tried to advertise here on VAF, that didn't happen.

Just received a batch from the weld shop, plan to paint and sell them.

Been working with my AP/IA will soon have a Cessna version.

Mike

scissor jack

I use a small junkyard scissor jack with an attachment for a 3/8 socket on the end for cranking. Haven't weighed it but couldn't be more than 2 lbs. Strap it into the baggage compartment.

Back