What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X touch alerts

bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
Ok, I’ve got a Garmin GMA 340 audio panel and a Garmin G3X touch system. I have never connected the two for alerts. I do have a AFS 2500 engine monitor connected to the audio panel though the alert input. I am going to connect the G3X to the audio panel, should I connect it to the alert input with the engine monitor, (two wires going to the same pins) or should I hook up the G3X to my COM 3 input? I could then silent my G3X alerts by turning off COM 3.
OK, let me have it…..

Ok, I’ve got a Garmin GMA 340 audio panel and a Garmin G3X touch system. I have never connected the two for alerts. I do have a AFS 2500 engine monitor connected to the audio panel though the alert input. I am going to connect the G3X to the audio panel, should I connect it to the alert input with the engine monitor, (two wires going to the same pins) or should I hook up the G3X to my COM 3 input? I could then silent my G3X alerts by turning off COM 3.
OK, let me have it…..

Bobby,

Most of us use an unswitched, unmuted audio input for our EFIS alert audio, but since your GMA 340 only has one of that type audio input (ALT WRN), and it seems to be in use by your 3rd party engine monitor, then you could either use the unswitched TEL RINGER IN audio input or one of the switched (with a front panel button) radio audio inputs such as NAV1, NAV2, ADF, or DME.

GMA340 Audio.png

I would probably avoid using the COM3 audio input just to be sure that the COM radio mic is never accidentally selected to that unused radio position.

You shouldn't simply parallel the EFIS alert audio to the same input that is already connected to the engine monitor.

Steve

Good info

Thanks Steve,
I believe I'll hook it up to the DME switch since I wont be using it for anything. I've already started the work, Man I wish that harness was 6-8" longer, worked good at the time, not so much now adding stuff that I never thought I'd be adding, wasn't even around back in 2007.

Back