Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-31-2021, 05:50 PM

Default New Owner Questions

Hey everybody,

I am the proud owner of an RV-12iS that I bought from Lockwood in Sebring late last year.

New user so image link here for those interested http://www.grayburke.com/images/Photoshare/1.jpeg

Now that we are empty nesters this is my wife of 32 years, Tina's, way of motivating me to finally get started in earnest on the -8A kit I've been moving around the country. She even flew the -12 back with me from KSEF to home field KOMH - pretty cool first X-country up the East Coast.

I've been searching the forum but still have a couple of questions that the community may be able to help me with:

1. What is a representative labor hours estimate for the Annual Condition Inspection, not including outstanding SBs?

2. Are there any LSR-I 2 day courses online that allow me to do my own CI without having to deal with the COVID travel hassle?

3. Any recommendations for an A&P/LSR-M nearby KOMH (Orange, VA Between DC and Richmond / Fredericksburg and Charlottesville) with -12/Rotax experience?

4. My prop aft face leading edge paint is eroding (the only item from the pre-buy inspection) and I would like to get it dressed and then the prop dynamically rebalanced - any recommendations?

Thanks for any input,

Steve
'21 Dues Paid
2020 RV-12iS Dynon 120482
TBD RV-8A 81635

Last edited by Invicto89 : 08-31-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:11 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicto89 View Post
Hey everybody,

I am the proud owner of an RV-12iS
Steve
'21 Dues Paid
TBD RV-8A 81635
Steve, welcome to VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 08-31-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Hey everybody,

I am the proud owner of an RV-12iS that I bought from Lockwood in Sebring late last year.

New user so image link here for those interested http://www.grayburke.com/images/Photoshare/1.jpeg

Now that we are empty nesters this is my wife of 32 years, Tina's, way of motivating me to finally get started in earnest on the -8A kit I've been moving around the country. She even flew the -12 back with me from KSEF to home field KOMH - pretty cool first X-country up the East Coast.

I've been searching the forum but still have a couple of questions that the community may be able to help me with:

1. What is a representative labor hours estimate for the Annual Condition Inspection, not including outstanding SBs?

2. Are there any LSR-I 2 day courses online that allow me to do my own CI without having to deal with the COVID travel hassle?

3. Any recommendations for an A&P/LSR-M nearby KOMH (Orange, VA Between DC and Richmond / Fredericksburg and Charlottesville) with -12/Rotax experience?

4. My prop aft face leading edge paint is eroding (the only item from the pre-buy inspection) and I would like to get it dressed and then the prop dynamically rebalanced - any recommendations?

Thanks for any input,

Steve
'21 Dues Paid
TBD RV-8A 81635
Congratulations!

I, too, am a new -12iS owner and can only offer help with number 2. Rainbow Aviation has a two-day inspection course for $450. I have already taken it and am waiting for the FAA to actually put the plane into my name so that I may file my "LSA - inspection" certificate with the local FSDO.

I'm planning to sign up for the Lockwood course for Rotax maintenance! Maybe November?

Jay
Donated
Old 08-31-2021, 09:42 PM

I usually spread my annual out over a week, but total time for me is about Twenty hours of actual work assuming I donít have anything extra like a big SB. I repack wheel bearings every annual and replace brake pads about every other year. My main tires last about 500 hours, but the nosewheel tire has 10 years and 1100 hours on it with no real wear. I also put in some customized time savers like a zirc fitting on the nosewheel and six inspection plates along the fuselage. I also cut the tunnel slope section in half horizontally and put in a piano hinge to simplify access for inspection.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:57 AM

I have never heard of an online LSRI-A course. I went to the course held before Sun & Fun this past year.

I would estimate it took me 40 hrs. to do my first condition inspection. I'm counting the time required to do the scheduled maintenance in that estimate. I expect the inspection next year will go faster since I'm more familiar with everything now.

I had my plane torn apart for close to 2 weeks, but I also had some SB's to take care of, plus the installation of Dynon ADSB-IN.

Nice looking plane! GO NAVY!
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Spinks Airport, KFWS, Fort Worth, TEXAS!

DONATED
Old 09-01-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Hey everybody,

I am the proud owner of an RV-12iS ...

Steve
'21 Dues Paid
TBD RV-8A 81635
Hi Steve,

Just to be clear for insurance, maintenance, etc. and so that folks here can respond to your questions accurately, your plane is a very good looking 2012 RV-12.

Last edited by jrtens : 09-01-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtens View Post
Hi Steve,

Just to be clear for insurance, maintenance, etc. and so that folks here can respond to your questions accurately, your plane is a very good looking 2012 RV-12.
Otherwise known around here at a RV-12 Legacy model.

Depending on how fast the builder completed this build, 2012's can have interesting electronics / glass EFIS combinations installed inside them.

Mine has a Dynon Skyview EFIS in it, some have earlier, simpler versions of Dynon glass EFIS in them, just depends on when the builder ordered and started working on the avionics install. Some of them are transitional with the wiring harnesses to the Skyview system with a connector box... not a lot, maybe 40 or so.

"Time to Spare, go by Air."
Old 09-01-2021, 09:34 AM

As for the prop... we shipped ours off to Sensenich to have the blades overhauled. They came back looking brand new and statically balanced. That helped a little with vibration, but nowhere near as much as the dynamic balance we recently had done. Call or email Sensenich and they can give you the current cost for blade overhauls.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 09-04-2021, 11:59 AM

W29 (Bay Bridge)
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Maintenance services include S-LSAs - solid experience with legacy RV-12s and Rotax engines (the associated flight school operates two legacy RV-12s maintained by the shop)

https://chesapeakesportpilot.com/maintenance2/
Old 09-06-2021, 04:23 PM

Interesting that a Legacy RV-12 has the 12is cowling. First one I've seen like that. Beautiful plane!
RV12is Owner - N59AM - #121024
Durant, OK (EAA Chapter 323)