What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door pull strap

dhmoose

Well Known Member
I am ready to glue my door halves together but thought that a doubler to help anchor a pull strap would be smart. Problem is, where should the strap be so it functions well (good leverage, doesn't get stuck in between the door and cabin cover, doesn't interefere with the mechanism, isn't annoying and in the way)? What kind of mounting have folks done for this? I saw that iflyrv10 sells a door pull strap for this purpose but has anyone gone that route? If so, two #6 nutplates on a doubler? #8? How far apart? I guess I am just looking for some suggestions on a good way to close the door once seated inside the -10.

IMHOP

I feel they are NOT necessary. I have aprox 100hr in a RV-10 and am building one currently.

I find that I can easily reach the forward edge of the door from the seat with ease. I feel I am average in height (5'10").

Weasel

I installed the IflyRV10 pull down straps about a year and a half ago. I believe the hex cap screws are 1/4" 28 thread, if I recall correctly. I also have the IflyRV10 flush door handles, so I have an additional cover plate for the opening in the door to install that system. That affected exactly where I could install the straps. I saw no need for a doubler.
I agree that it is easy to grab the forward edge of the door to pull them down. However, I have my straps a bit aft on the door for two reasons. It allows me to pull the back part of the door in while closing, and it provides an easy way to close the door from outside the airplane without getting back up on the wing.
I flew for about a year and a half without them and managed just fine, but I like having them. They do need some kind of weight in the end of the strap to keep them from blowing out of reach with the slightest breeze.

I trained with David. The strap worked when needed. I used both methods as mentioned above.

I bonded a .032" x 3" x 5" doubler in the rear lower inside corner of both doors. I riveted four 8-32 nutplates on inside matching holes in a Lowe's drawer pull.

Four reasons I had for installing this:

1. Drawer pull would allow my two kids to pull in on rear of doors if necessary. Luckily my doors turned out good and sit approx 1/8"-3/16" from being flush with cabin when let down. Tapered pins pull them in fine.

2. If I decide to add the strap so that I don't have to put 225 lbs on my fragile step to close the door, then I already would have the drawer pull to
attach a leather strap to.

3. If ditching is required, then turning my handle 180* and holding front and
rear until we decide to let go just before contact with water is an option. I
doubt I would do it that way, but getting rid of it is very important.

4. We all four can hold doors securely open 4-6" while taxiing in that hot Florida sun.

Iflyrv10 door strap installation

Does anyone have a picture of where they installed the pull down strap? How well does it work there? Would you pick a different spot if you did it again?

I have a short wife who could use a little help closing the door.

Thanks

I like mine....

Not the greatest pics, but it should give you an idea. My straps came with my FlghtLine Interiors RV-10 package. The strap attaches with 2 screws that mount into rivnuts. No reinforcement of the underlying door structure is necessary. There's a button/snap screw at the top of the "loop" that allows you to snap the strap horizontally aft under the window to the door for storage, but I rarely bother.

While not strictly necessary, I do think they make closing the doors easier, especially for passengers.

24377989937_b5468b88b3_c.jpg

35212652783_687e369b1c_b.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same strap setup as Todd. After the first few flights I realized they are not needed. Just reach up and grab the forward edge of the door near the top and bring it down. I found it to be a PITA unsnapping and re-snapping the strap.

.....I have my straps a bit aft on the door for two reasons. It allows me to pull the back part of the door in while closing, and it provides an easy way to close the door from outside the airplane without getting back up on the wing.

+1
Other words for minimium required.....

Yep, it's easy to reach forward and pull on the door when sitting in the seat. I find them invaluable for closing the door when I am OUT of the airplane. :)

Vic

Follow up

So, 6 years after posting the question and 4 years after the first flight, I thought I?d give you my thoughts. I installed the door strap and love it! I?d do it again but I?d also agree with others that it isn?t necessary. My installed a doubler with nutplates for anchorage and then Oregon Aero made leather straps. The straps are short enough to never get in the way of door closure but long enough for me to reach them while inside the airplane or out. I think they are elegant and functional. Here?s a pic so you can decide for yourself.

IMG_20141231_113654.jpg

Strap pictures

Thank you all for your pictures, ideas and comments.

My 5 foot 2 wife doesn?t know it yet but she will appreciate them as well.

I think I now have a plan on what I will do. Pix of my installation will follow in a few days.

Back