-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:52 PM

I have electric trim installed and have been kicking myself every since.
Keep it simple...
Repeat Offender / Race 007
Friend of the RV-1
Old 01-31-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Whats the trouble w/the electric trim

I have the electric elevator trim installed,haven't used it yet-except to test it on the bench before I hung the HS on the ceiling- I'm wondering what the problems have been ie;
- panel mounted rocker switch ?
- stick mounted coolie-hat ?
- durability of the components (motor, switches,relay, etc.)?
- sensitivity to control input?
Since I've spent the money for the electric I wonder which is the best combo to use for control. I like the idea of making trim adjustments on final without having to look down in the cockpit. So I plan go with the stick switch,which ofcourse means using the relay control and adding something to go bad. Does anyone use the panel-mounted rocker switch? I did go with the manual aileron trim to simplify things.
sam k.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:23 PM

This is a test to see if I can get the picture up. I drove a straight shift (Floor Shift) car for years. I don't remember looking down to see where the shifter was. I can't imaging having to look for the trim knob. It isn't near or on the same angle as the throttle or mixture.

Derrell
Old 03-06-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Electric vs Manual Pitch Trim

If the manual elevator trim had used a trim wheel, like most airplanes I've flown, I probably would've ordered that. However, I didn't like the vernier knob Van's designed in, so I ordered electric trim. In the RV-6 I got my "grin" ride in, it was a little sensitive, but after a few minutes I got the hang of it.

Also, there are ways to slow the electric trim down to make it less touchy.

I used to rent a Katana which, like the RV-7, has electric-only trim. If it runs away, you have to hold a stick force until you land. It never happened to me, fortunately! However, in an RV, with the light elevator forces, I don't think it would be that big a deal...and if you're really worried about it, here's what you can do:

Install a split trim switch, instead of the rocker switch that comes with the E-trim kit. A split switch requires that both sides fail before the trim can run away...a rather unlikely proposition. With that mod, the worse failure mode is a stuck trim, which is no big deal.