What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hey g3xpert - GNC navigator questions.

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
I have two old non-WAAS 430s installed in my panel. I really want to fly LPV approaches and am considering swapping out one of my 430s for either a GNC 355 or possibly an Avidyne IFD 440. Avidyne has a GNS trade-in program for their IFD 440 navigator products.

Has Garmin thought about a competitive ?trade-in? program for old non-WAAS navigation equipment similar to what Avidyne has?

If I go with the GNC 335 I?ll likely keep one 430 to support VOR/ILS approaches. In that regard,
1. What type of rack and wire changes are required to swap out a 430 for a 355?
2. Can I cross feed flight navigation data between these two different units?

You could get a GPS 175 instead and save $2k since you've already got a NAV/COM in the 430 you'll be keeping.

1. The 355 is 0.65" smaller on your panel than the 430. It will require a different tray and new included connectors. You'll also have a bit of a gap on your rack you need to fill. With a pin removal tool that actually works, theoretically you should just be able to play operation and move all your existing pins to their new homes.
2. Looks like you can.

GNC 355 Information

I have two old non-WAAS 430s installed in my panel. I really want to fly LPV approaches and am considering swapping out one of my 430s for either a GNC 355 or possibly an Avidyne IFD 440. Avidyne has a GNS trade-in program for their IFD 440 navigator products.

Has Garmin thought about a competitive ?trade-in? program for old non-WAAS navigation equipment similar to what Avidyne has?

If I go with the GNC 335 I?ll likely keep one 430 to support VOR/ILS approaches. In that regard,
1. What type of rack and wire changes are required to swap out a 430 for a 355?
2. Can I cross feed flight navigation data between these two different units?

You would need a new rack for the GNC 355. You will need to wire the GNC 355 to the audio panel in the panel for the COM side of things, as well as to the instrumentation that you will use to display the Navigation information from the GNC 355. We can always help point you in the right direction in the manual's for wiring information, depending on what type of indicator and audio panel you will be using.

There is no flight plan cross-fill capability between the GNS 430 and GNC 355.

You are welcome to contact us directly at [email protected] as well. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

You could get a GPS 175 instead and save $2k since you've already got a NAV/COM in the 430 you'll be keeping.

The reason I want a 355 instead of a 175 is the comm capability. I really want two radios it?s a much easier inflight work load to have Comm 1 set for ATC and Comm 2 set to ATIS/AWOS. Also if one radio ever fails a second radio is readily available.

Back