What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One mag, one ignition ?mag check? procedure?

Kooshball

Well Known Member
Just curious with the added efficiency of a lightspeed ignition at lower manifold pressures as noted on their website will that translate into a different rpm drop at run up when switching between L and R? In other words when the ignition is switched off in favor of the mag, will that result in a larger RPM drop from both vs switching off the mag?

Thx

When you switch off the mag you will barely see an rpm drop, when you switch off the EI you will see a normal (100rpm or so) drop. In other words the EI is so efficient, it is accomplishing in the combustion chamber what would otherwise require two mags to do.

I think that is what you were asking..

I have 1 lightspeed and 1 mag on my RV10. Get almost no drop when turning off the mag during run up, while the mag drop is larger than typical when I turn off the lightspeed. Tells me the lightspeed is enabling a more efficient engine, at least for run up power levels.

I have 1 lightspeed and 1 mag on my RV10. Get almost no drop when turning off the mag during run up, while the mag drop is larger than typical when I turn off the lightspeed. Tells me the lightspeed is enabling a more efficient engine, at least for run up power levels.

This is exactly what I am getting with an E-mag on one side and magneto on the other. It really shows how efficient electronic ignition is.

Back