What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tunnel access panels

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
I've had to tear the interior out of my RV-10 to diagnose a malfuctioning fuel flow sensor, which is down in the tunnel up against the firewall. While I'm doing this I'm going to add some access panels in the side of the tunnel down in the footwell.

I've been thinking of just keeping these as open holes with no covers, just covering them with carpet. I'm trying to think of why that would be a bad idea. If anything it would aid in cooling the tunnel (apparently RV-10 tunnels are known to get really hot).

Can anyone think of a reason I would need a metal cover down there? There's no moving parts in that area and I feel everything would be reasonably well protected with a layer of carpet velcroed over the holes.

access hole

I cut in a rectangular hole in the tunnel on the pilot side so that i could access servicing the fuel filter without taking off the top cover. I made a cover for it because it seemed like the right thing to do. it didn?t occur to me to not have one.

Tunnel access

I bought the airward tunnel access covers. I installed two across from each other. Makes it easier to service the pump and filter. Easy to install, but glad I installed during the build.

The tunnel is structural. Reenforce any holes you may make.

On the practical side, it is a royal pain to have to take the seats out to pull the tunnel top, but for any real Condition Inspection they need to come out anyway so you can get to the control linkages. I pull the fuel filter during each Condition as well - it always pristine. I’ve never had a need to go into the tunnel other than for the once a year inspection. In other words, access holes may not be very useful.

Carl

I used the AirWard panel as well. It?s a nice kit if you don?t want to take the time to fabricate your own panel and doubler.

For the with Aerosport Products panels, taking the forward cover off the tunnel is a PITA. The only reasonable work around is to put an access panel to get at the filter and to inspect everything else in the tunnel.

I used the AirWard panel as well. It?s a nice kit if you don?t want to take the time to fabricate your own panel and doubler.

For the with Aerosport Products panels, taking the forward cover off the tunnel is a PITA. The only reasonable work around is to put an access panel to get at the filter and to inspect everything else in the tunnel.

+1. I too have an AirWard panel on the left side and find it one of the more useful mods you can make. I don?t have the Aerosport panel put still find removing the forward tunnel cover a PITA. With the access panel I can easily remove and replace the fuel filter and perform all the necessary inspections of the fuel, brake, and control systems.

I also have an Aerosport panel and put an Airward access panel on the right side to have easier (not easy) access to the fuel filter, etc. I probably should have put one on both sides, but since I am right-handed I decided to put one on the right side, which works fine. I would lose sleep thinking about accessing the fuel filter if I did not have the Airward access panel in the tunnel.

Sometimes it?s just faster and/or easier to go with a pre-fab?d component than rolling your own, especially when it comes to modifications. YMMV.....

Especially when CNC holes and radiused corners are involved. :)

rv-10-tunnel-access-cs-screws-rv-10-tunnel-access-w-countersunk-screws

After building a -6A with no pre-punched parts I can really appreciate the aid of CNC produced parts. :D

If you’ve stuck to the standard Van’s Panel then it’s not much trouble to make access panels to easily get to the fuel filter/pump etc by cutting the top tunnel cover at three screws back from the firewall and again at the fuel selector, that allows access without seat removal. Of course it means riveting in panels at each cut with three or four nut plates for screws to retain the integrity of the tunnel top. By making a cut three or four screws back from the firewall a lot of angst can be avoided reaching in under the panel to undu screws that you really don’t need to. Not my idea, but one I copied with good results. Cheers from Western Australia

Back