What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crossroads

I'm trying to decide which direction to go with my build.

I have completed the empennage and tailcone. The quick build wings are gathering dust and I just completed the Upper Forward Fuselage Assembly. The next section in the build manual is Section 32, Tailcone Attachment.

My question is, do I attach the tailcone to the fuselage now or go back to Section 11 and attach the empennage to the tailcone?

Unless you have a very large are to build in, I would hold off attached the horizontal stabilizer, vert stabilizer, etc until way later in the build - probably when you're at the airport.

My 2 cents - Move on to the tailcone attach! But make sure that there's nothing else you want to get done before then because it's not coming back off :)

Attach the tailcone to the forward fuse. You can reattach the empennage surfaces any time after that. Leaving them off at this stage makes the join process less cumbersome.

Also, you will be able to make sure your horizontal stab is level across, matching your fuselage longerons and wings if you wait. And your vertical stab at 90 degrees to the horizontal, of course. Not that anyone has noted any problems due to the quality of the kit, but this way you can be absolutely sure your rigging is correct.

I waited on the empennage as you described.
The tailcone join was uneventful. My horizontal and vertical are waiting patiently. :cool:

Yep. Hanging on the wall, decorating the shop, patiently waiting under a protective coat of epoxy sanding dust :rolleyes:

Back