What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying UPS

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Called for a rate quote today from UPS to return my SV-D1000T for service and received a solicitation to purchase the company. $290.00 for no rush delivery. Must be someone out there not needing to retire tomorrow that would have a reasonable rate to return this unit. Heck it wasn't much more than that for airfare out there last summer.
Anyone have a recommendation for a safe method with insurance to ship from Canada to Washington state?
Thanks Ron

I generally use the post office - though their rates are not cheap either, especially with a few thousand of insurance.

For $290, I'd think you could fly it there yourself for cheaper.

And still be home for dinner.

Try the Postal Service. UPS and FedEx automatically charge you a Customs clearing fee for "handling" the clearance even if they do virtually nothing. Last time I looked it was $50+ and that was a few years ago. Postal service does not make that automatic charge.

I just paid $220.77 to ship my SkyView HDX1100 display from ACS Canada to me in Alberta, slowly. This was insured with UPS. I'm sure the insurance is the majority of that charge. It was only 50% more than that to get my fuselage and finish kits shipped, both worth nearly twice as much and weighing 100x as much.

I hate shipping costs, would much rather drop $200 on a tool that I'll use once and then lose.

Thanks Guy's but I tried the postal service first and they could not insure going into the US for that high of an amount. I asked UPS if I could do better after the holidays but they said no difference in price. I'm wandering if I make an account first if I would get a discount, I could make the account in my business's name.

UPS insurance is very hard to collect on, almost worthless.

I'm wandering if I should forgo the insurance as I'm like you, My aircraft would probably be an antique before my Skyview would be replaced by the insurance.

insurance fun fun fun fun

.....NOT!
might be worth checking your homeowners policy, or your 'project' insurance if you have, with COPA or marsh or whomever.....there might be a few thou in there for just such things. (sometimes the deductible makes all this moot!)
or get an American Express card, ( or similar high end card) just for purchases, and it may cover loss regardless of where the thing is...after all, you bought it, you own it, it just ain't in your hands at the moment!!!

....one can always hope!

I decided to lease FedEx, NOT. Actually fedex was somewhat reasonable. $162 CDN including brokerage , freight, and insurance for full value. It's gone, hopefully it will make it back to Dynon safely.

When shipping via UPS, if the item had a declared value of $1000+ it will not go through the 'sorter' with all of the other items. I think it costs $11.50 for $1000 of insurance. Sometimes I will put $1000 value on a delicate item that is only worth $250, just so that it will arrive safely. I do agree that collecting payout from UPS is quite the run-around. Plus you have to follow a bunch of packing criteria for your claim to avoid being thrown out right away.

All of these figures are USD and US to US shipments..FWIW

Get Vlad to fly up and pick it up and ship it from his home town! Bet he'd do it for food and beer :D. Much cheaper shipping it within the US. Also, to avoid insurance nightmares, I am sure you can pack it to be bullet proof. Then you only need to worry about it getting lost.

Back